Signals and Systems: Deriving differential equation from block diagram

In summary, the conversation is about finding the differential equation of a system represented by a block diagram. The person has attempted to solve it using an expression involving the signal node 'd', but is unsure if it is possible to express it only in terms of y(t) and x(t) and their derivatives/integrals. The final answer provided is: \frac{d^2y(t)}{dt^2} + 4\frac{dy(t)}{dt} + 5y(t) = d(t)
KingNothing

Homework Statement

Consider the block diagram below. Find the differential equation of the system.

Homework Equations

None, other than understanding how block diagrams work.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is posted below, as an image. The reason I am having such trouble is because I can only express things in terms of the signal node I have labeled 'd'. Ideally, I should be able to find an expression just involving y(t) and x(t), and their derivatives/integrals.

Attachments

• Block-Diagram.png
    Block-Diagram.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,425
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any way to do this? I don't think so, but I could use a second opinion. Thanks!\begin{array}{l}\text{x(t)} \\\downarrow \;\;\;\;\; \searrow \;\;\;\;\; \nearrow \\\text{d} \;\;\;\;\; \;\;\;\;\; \;\;\;\;\; \;\;\;\;\; \;\;\;\;\; y(t) \\\end{array}\begin{array}{l}\frac{d^2y(t)}{dt^2} &+& 4\frac{dy(t)}{dt} &+& 5y(t) &=& d(t) \\\end{array}

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basic principles of signals and systems. A signal is a physical quantity that varies over time, and a system is a physical device or process that operates on signals to produce an output. In this case, the block diagram represents a system that takes in an input signal x(t) and produces an output signal y(t).

To derive the differential equation of this system, we need to understand how the different blocks in the diagram affect the input signal. The first block represents a gain, which multiplies the input signal by a constant factor. The second block is a delay, which introduces a time delay in the input signal. Finally, the third block is an integrator, which integrates the input signal over time.

Using this information, we can write the following equation:

y(t) = kx(t-T) + \int x(t) dt

Where k is the gain constant, T is the time delay, and the integral represents the output of the integrator block. However, this equation still involves the signal node 'd' and does not solely depend on y(t) and x(t) as desired.

To eliminate the signal node 'd', we can use the fact that the output of the integrator block is the input signal multiplied by the time variable t. This can be expressed as:

\int x(t) dt = tx(t)

Substituting this into the previous equation, we get:

y(t) = kx(t-T) + tx(t)

We can further simplify this equation by factoring out x(t):

y(t) = (k + t)x(t-T)

Finally, we can differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to time to get the desired differential equation:

\frac{dy(t)}{dt} = (k + t)\frac{dx(t-T)}{dt}

In conclusion, by understanding the basic principles of signals and systems and carefully analyzing the block diagram, we were able to derive the differential equation of the system. This approach can be used to derive the equations for more complex systems as well.

1. What is a signal in the context of signals and systems?

A signal is a mathematical representation of a physical phenomenon, such as sound, light, or electrical current. In signals and systems, signals are typically represented as functions of time or space.

2. How are signals and systems related?

Signals and systems are closely related as systems are used to process and manipulate signals. Systems can be represented by block diagrams, which show the relationship between input and output signals.

3. What is a block diagram?

A block diagram is a graphical representation of a system, showing the flow of signals and the components of the system. Blocks represent different parts of the system, such as inputs, outputs, and operations.

4. How can a differential equation be derived from a block diagram?

Differential equations can be derived from block diagrams by using the principles of signal flow and applying them to the blocks and inputs of the system. This allows us to mathematically describe the behavior of the system.

5. What are the applications of signals and systems in real life?

Signals and systems have a wide range of applications in various fields, including telecommunications, control systems, signal processing, and image and sound processing. They are also used in designing and analyzing electronic circuits, and in understanding biological and physiological systems.