Since when can a skull grow back?

• Medical
  • Thread starter waht
  • Start date
In summary, a skull can grow back after being severely damaged in a car crash. The process of regeneration is thought to be rare and doctors looked for signs of healing by measuring the amount of bone that had grown back. If you break a bone and put it in a cast, the bones will heal over time. If you drill a hole in the skull, the surrounding tissue may grow back and form a circle. However, if you implant metal plates in the skull, the plates may remain in place for the rest of the person's life.
waht
Interesting, didn't know that a skull can grow back:

The severely damaged skull of a Northumberland man involved in a car crash 50 years ago has regenerated itself, a process thought to be rare.

Doctors operated to treat an infection in Gordon Moore's head and found the bone had grown back beneath the metal plate inserted after the accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8293731.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
When you break a bone it heals, it's remarkable that it grew back over such a large area.

huh. i wonder if the composition of the metal had something to do with it?

Bone in skull can re-grow. Anthropologists judge the success of Pre-Colombian Trephination surgeries by gauging how much bone has grown back. No re-growth at all is generally regarded as an indicator of an unsuccessful surgery, absent evidence of other conditions that could have killed the patient.

turbo-1 said:
Bone in skull can re-grow. Anthropologists judge the success of Pre-Colombian Trephination surgeries by gauging how much bone has grown back. No re-growth at all is generally regarded as an indicator of an unsuccessful surgery, absent evidence of other conditions that could have killed the patient.

If you brake a bone, and put it in cast undisturbed, the bones will bond because of being in close proximity. But if you were to drill a hole in skull, would it actually patch by itself?

Early cranial surgery was generally performed by cutting a pair of parallel slices in the skull. If you looked for signs of healing, you would look first at the corners and later to the flat sides. Nature will make a circle out of a square, if allowed.

i've been trying to imagine how it happens. my guess is that there is a covering of connective tissue that scars over the injury, and that osteoblasts from the edge of the injured bone migrate into the connective tissue and gradually ossify it.

but with metal plates, i think there are some metals (titanium?) that can actually serve as a structure for bone to attach, like in hip replacements.

As the article states, it's very rare. I'd be curious to know if this man has some genetic "abnormality" that allowed such an unusual amount of healing to occur so late in life.

Usually, these metal plates are left in place for life. Of course, one area of research in biomedical engineering is finding materials that will serve to function in place of a bone or ligament, and promote regrowth of tissue into the area to eventually replace the injured tissue. But, even in those cases, usually the implanted material remains for life, encapsulated in the new tissue growth.

Moonbear said:
As the article states, it's very rare. I'd be curious to know if this man has some genetic "abnormality" that allowed such an unusual amount of healing to occur so late in life.

Usually, these metal plates are left in place for life. Of course, one area of research in biomedical engineering is finding materials that will serve to function in place of a bone or ligament, and promote regrowth of tissue into the area to eventually replace the injured tissue. But, even in those cases, usually the implanted material remains for life, encapsulated in the new tissue growth.

What types of materials and characteristics? I imagine a lightweight rigid mesh type material would allow interwoven and permanent/natural growth.

1. How is it possible for a skull to grow back?

The skull is composed of several bones that are connected by fibrous joints called sutures. These sutures allow for some flexibility and movement, making it possible for the skull to expand and grow back in cases of injury or surgery.

2. What types of injuries can lead to the regrowth of a skull?

Severe head injuries, congenital defects, and certain types of skull surgeries can cause damage to the skull bones and result in the need for them to grow back.

3. Is the regrown skull the same as the original one?

Yes, the regrown skull is made up of the same bones and has a similar structure to the original one. However, there may be some minor differences in shape and size due to the healing process.

4. How long does it take for a skull to grow back?

The regrowth of a skull can vary depending on the extent of the injury and the individual's healing process. In some cases, it can take several months to a year for a complete regrowth.

5. Are there any risks or complications associated with the regrowth of a skull?

As with any surgery or medical procedure, there are potential risks and complications involved with the regrowth of a skull. These can include infection, bleeding, and nerve damage. It is important to consult with a medical professional to assess the individual's specific case and minimize any potential risks.