Comparing Tensor Double Dot Scalar Product Definitions

In summary, The tensor double dot scalar product can be defined in two ways, either using the first convention of \nabla \vec{u} \colon \nabla \vec{v} = u_{i,j} v_{j,i}, or the second convention of \nabla \vec{u} \colon \nabla \vec{v} = u_{i,j} v_{i,j}. The first convention is more common, but both conventions can be found in books on finite element methods. These different conventions can lead to different results, but neither one is necessarily incorrect. The first convention may be chosen for its similarity to matrix algebra, while the second may be chosen for its symmetry.
dakg
Ok I have seen the tensor double dot scalar product defined two ways and it all boils down to how the multiplication is defined. Does anyone know which is correct? I believe the first one is correct but I keep seeing the second one in various books on finite element methods.

1. [tex]\nabla \vec{u} \colon \nabla \vec{v} = u_{i,j} v_{j,i}[/tex]

or

2. [tex]\nabla \vec{u} \colon \nabla \vec{v} = u_{i,j} v_{i,j}[/tex]Thank you in advance,
dakg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean outer multiplication between two vectors, right? The definition i have seen (using index notation) is, in [tex]D[/tex] dimensions,

[tex]\vec{u} \otimes \vec{v}= a_{ij}=u_i v_j\;,\;1\leq i,j \leq D[/tex]

sorry there is a [tex]\nabla[/tex] missing

i'll edit it

i have it in there but it isn't printing, let me try here

[tex] \nabla \vec{u} \colon \nabla \vec{v} [/tex]

The first one is more common, but it is a matter of convention.

Do you know why? I found the first one in a Lightfoot book on transport.

They make different results, so wouldn't one be correct and the other wrong?

Not wrong just different.
log(e)=1
log(10)=1
3*5+2=17
3*5+2=21
Here are examples of conventions that can lead to confusion.
The convention here (using dyadic product for an example) is
1) (ab):(cd)=(a.d)(b.c) the usual rule
2) (ab):(cd)=(a.c)(b.d) the other rule
The usual rule proably is choosen because of matrix algebra
ie to be the same as matrix product

1. What is a tensor double dot scalar product?

A tensor double dot scalar product is a mathematical operation that combines two tensors to produce a scalar value. It is also known as the contraction or inner product of two tensors.

2. How is a tensor double dot scalar product defined?

There are two commonly used definitions for tensor double dot scalar products: the Einstein notation and the matrix notation. The Einstein notation involves summing over repeated indices, while the matrix notation involves multiplying the matrices formed by the tensor components.

3. What is the difference between the Einstein notation and the matrix notation for tensor double dot scalar products?

The main difference between the two notation systems is the way in which they represent the tensors and their components. The Einstein notation is more compact and easier to write, while the matrix notation is more similar to standard matrix multiplication and may be more intuitive for some people.

4. How do you compare tensor double dot scalar product definitions?

To compare tensor double dot scalar product definitions, you can consider factors such as the notation used, the complexity of the calculation, and the applicability to different types of tensors. Additionally, you can evaluate the mathematical properties of each definition, such as commutativity and associativity.

5. What are some common applications of tensor double dot scalar products?

Tensor double dot scalar products have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include calculating the work done by a force on an object, finding the moment of inertia of a rigid body, and performing tensor operations in machine learning algorithms.