Spring-Damper System Question

• Thread starter aerandir4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: To give you an example: Solve f'(t) = t. Well we know X(t)=t^2/2 is a solution, and any other solution is X + U, where U'(t) = 0, i.e. U = constant. So the general solution is t^2/2 + constant).Now it looks like you've got one solution: given the above hints can you find the most general solution (i.e. the one with the arbitrary constant of integration). Continuity of X(t) at 0 and 0.5 should force a particular value of this constant of integration.
aerandir4

Homework Statement

Spring-Damper system has a force applied such that the formula f(t)= kx(t)+c(dx/dt) holds
Determine the resulting displacement x(t) and sketch the function.
What is the displacement at t=1 sec?

Homework Equations

k=10^4 Nm^-1
c=1.25x10^4 Nsm^-1
x(0)=0

the is also a graph that has time on the horizontal axis and f(t) on the vertical axis f(t). It goes up linearly from 0 to f(0.5)=100 and then linearly drops with negative gradient to 0 at f(1)=0 and then carries on at infinitely at f(t)=0 for t>1

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to define the graph first in three steps

0<t<0.5 f(t)=200t
0.5<t<1 f(t)=200(1-t)
t>1 f(t)=0

after this I'm confused on how to proceed. Initially I took each set of conditions and converted them to X(s) via laplace transforms then solved by partial fractions and then converted back to X(t). I'm not sure if this is the right method.

Another way would be to solve each condition by integration,
i.e. when 0<t<0.5 then f(t)=integral between 0 and 0.5 of exp^-st*200t dt
then substitute this value back into f(t) in the equation of motion.

some guidance would be nice.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You broke up f(t) into three steps; can you guess an x(t) for each step that satisfies the constraint equation?
Once you've got this what is the most general solution of the constraint equation? You should be able to solve the problem now using the initial condition and continuity of x(t).

(Though I'm not sure if x(t) will satisfy the equation at .5 and 1).

fantispug said:
You broke up f(t) into three steps; can you guess an x(t) for each step that satisfies the constraint equation?
Once you've got this what is the most general solution of the constraint equation? You should be able to solve the problem now using the initial condition and continuity of x(t).

(Though I'm not sure if x(t) will satisfy the equation at .5 and 1).

between 0<t<0.5
i plugged in 200t=kx+c(dx/dt)
now---> 200/s^2=kX(s)+c[sX(s)-X(0)]
I re arranged in terms of X(s)=200/s^2*(k+cs)
after using partial fractions i get X(s)=-1/40s+1/50*s^2+1/40*(k/c+s)
which would give X(t)=-1/40+t/50+exp^(-k/c*t)/40

doing the same for 0.5<t<1

I get X(t)=1/200-t/250-exp^(-k/c*t)/200
i assume the third condition to be 0 as f(t)is 0 for t>1

am I going in the right direction up to now?

I didn't understand your last tip fully what do you mean by "general solution of the constraint equation"
what do I do for each x(t) equation?

many thanks

Yeah, it certainly looks like you're moving in the right direction. When I was talking about "general solution" I meant that a generic first order differential equation has a parameter family of solutions (i.e. you typically get a constant of integration that can be any number).Now suppose you've got an inhomogeneous linear differential equation; that is if D is some linear differential operator (here D=k+ c d/dt) and you want to solve
D X(t) = f(t) for some function f(t).
Now suppose we've got one solution X and we want to find another solution Y,
D X = f
D Y = f and so by linearity
D (Y-X) = 0. Thus any other solution is of the form X + U where D(U) = 0.

(To give you an example: Solve f'(t) = t. Well we know X(t)=t^2/2 is a solution, and any other solution is X + U, where U'(t) = 0, i.e. U = constant. So the general solution is t^2/2 + constant).

Now it looks like you've got one solution: given the above hints can you find the most general solution (i.e. the one with the arbitrary constant of integration). Continuity of X(t) at 0 and 0.5 should force a particular value of this constant of integration.

1. What is a spring-damper system?

A spring-damper system is a mechanical system that consists of a spring and a damper connected in series. The spring provides a restoring force while the damper dissipates energy. These systems are often used in suspension systems, shock absorbers, and other mechanical systems.

2. How does a spring-damper system work?

A spring-damper system works by utilizing the properties of both the spring and the damper. When a force is applied to the system, the spring compresses or extends, exerting a force in the opposite direction. At the same time, the damper absorbs some of the energy and dissipates it as heat.

3. What is the equation for a spring-damper system?

The equation for a spring-damper system is F = kx + cv, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, c is the damping coefficient, and v is the velocity.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a spring-damper system?

The behavior of a spring-damper system is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the damping coefficient of the damper, the mass of the system, and the external forces applied to the system.

5. What are some practical applications of a spring-damper system?

Spring-damper systems have a wide range of practical applications, including vehicle suspension systems, shock absorbers, earthquake-resistant structures, and prosthetic limbs. They are also used in various industrial and mechanical systems to control vibrations and dampen oscillations.