Generator Shaft Power (Input) to Generator Out

In summary, the gas turbine shaft power is directly coupled to a generator and provides the same amount of power. However, due to inefficiencies and losses in the generator, the output power will be lower than the shaft power.
infinite_gbps
Hi,

I am working on a project and my friend said to me the gas turbine shaft power is 'x' amount of power. It is directly coupled to a generator so the power to the generator is the same 'x' amount of power.

How does that shaft power relate to the output of the generator? The shaft spins the rotor shaft with the same power due to direct coupling but I'm missing the direct relation between the two.

The question may not be stated properly but please bare with me. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The generator will put out some level of power lower than the SHP required to drive it due to inefficiencies of the generator itself. Losses in the generator coupled with things like rotor windage all combine to require more power to drive it than what you get out of it.

1. What is generator shaft power and how does it relate to the output of a generator?

Generator shaft power is the amount of mechanical energy input into a generator. It is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). This input power is used to turn the rotor of the generator, which then produces electrical power as its output.

2. What factors affect the generator shaft power input?

The generator shaft power input can be affected by several factors, such as the speed of the rotor, the size and type of the generator, and the efficiency of the generator's components. Other external factors, such as the temperature and humidity of the environment, can also impact the input power.

3. How is generator shaft power measured?

Generator shaft power can be measured using instruments such as dynamometers or power meters. These devices measure the torque and rotational speed of the rotor to calculate the input power. In some cases, the manufacturer may also provide the rated input power of the generator.

4. Is there a relationship between the generator shaft power input and the generator's output?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the generator shaft power input and its output. The higher the input power, the more electrical power the generator can produce. However, the efficiency of the generator plays a role in determining the actual output power, which may be lower than the input power.

5. How can the generator shaft power input be optimized?

To optimize the generator shaft power input, it is important to maintain the generator and its components, such as the rotor and bearings, in good condition. Proper lubrication and regular maintenance can help reduce friction and increase the efficiency of the generator, resulting in a higher input power. Additionally, using the correct size and type of generator for the intended application can also help optimize the input power.