How to Solve a 2D Projectile Problem: Finding Angle and Velocity

In summary, the projectile must be fired at a speed of 30m/s and at an angle less than ninety degrees to the horizontal in order to land back on the cart.
Ytaipsw

Homework Statement

A cart is moving horizontally along a straight line with a constant speed of 30m/s. A projectile is to be fired from the moving cart in such a way that it will return to the cart after the cart has moved 80m. At what speed and at what angle to the horizontal must the projectile be fired?

Homework Equations

The kinematic equations.
The problem ignores air resistance and friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I said in my answer to this problem was, "since the cart is moving at a constant velocity, for a projectile to land back on the cart it would have to be fired at 90 degrees to the horizontal". After stating this I could easily solve for the velocity.

My professor however tells me that this is not true and that the angle will be less than ninety degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I think you can write up a proof of your conjecture easily.
The equation of motion for the cart is x = 30t.
The equations for the projectile are x = 30t and y = Vi*t - ½gt²
(put in your number for Vi). Figure out the time when y = 0 and show that both horizontal positions equal 80.

If you ask the prof to look over your work without being too pushy about it, you'll likely win him over. Demonstrating with the high school apparatus that shows this effect would likely be too pushy.

The direction of the velocity relative to the cart is indeed straight up. Apparently your professor wants the direction of the velocity relative to the ground. (It's not how I would interpret it).

You already computed the vertical velocity relative to the cart and the ground. The horizontal velocity is the speed of the cart.

Thanks, willem2! I missed that entirely!
The angle is 90 degrees from the cart's point of view, but from the point of view of the ground, there will of course be a horizontal component to the velocity of the projectile.

What is a 2D projectile problem?

A 2D projectile problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of an object that is launched or thrown in two dimensions, typically with a combination of horizontal and vertical forces acting on it.

What are the main components of a 2D projectile problem?

The main components of a 2D projectile problem are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory of the object and its eventual landing point.

How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using equations of motion, specifically the equations for horizontal and vertical displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations take into account the initial conditions and forces acting on the object.

What are some real-life examples of 2D projectile problems?

Some real-life examples of 2D projectile problems include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball into a hoop, and launching a rocket into space. These all involve objects moving in two dimensions with forces acting on them.

How does air resistance affect a 2D projectile problem?

Air resistance can affect a 2D projectile problem by slowing down the object's horizontal velocity and altering its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts opposite to the object's motion, causing it to slow down and change direction.