Modulating 2.4GHz and 3MHz signals

• Thread starter lnetwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, the conversation is about creating a radar in the public band (2.4GHz) to detect oncoming cars from a short distance (9 meters). The person has access to necessary equipment but needs help modulating a 3MHz pulse train with the 2.4GHz signal. They have a budget of $300 and are looking for a cheap solution. A 20 GHz bandwidth pulse modulator design and the idea of sweeping the frequency to deduce the distance of the object are suggested and appreciated. The person also mentions the potential issue of doppler shift when dealing with approaching cars. Links to a project where someone built a radar altimeter for their airplane are shared.
lnetwork
I'm looking to create a radar in the public band (2.4GHz) to detect oncoming cars from a relatively short distance (around 9 meters). I have access to a signal generator which can generate the 2.4 GHz signal, as well as another generator to create a pulse train of around 3MHz. I also have all the necessary equipment to send and receive a signal in this frequency band. The problem is that I would like to modulate the 3MHz pulse train with the 2.4GHz signal, but the box that I have will only modulate the 2.4GHz signal with another signal of up to 1MHz. Obviously, I need to go beyond this. Does anyone have any ideas about a relatively cheap way to do this? Unfortunately, I only have a budget of 300 dollars to do this, so buying a new box is out of the question. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
here is a design walk-through of a 20 GHz bandwidth pulse modulator:

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/pulsedRFbreadboard.cfm

Cool project though, but for a radar project there are simpler solutions. If you sweep the frequency of a transmitter, say from 2.4 to 2.5 GHz per unit time, then a returned echo will be of a different frequency. Then if you compare the received frequency to the transmitted frequency, you can deduce the distance to the object. There was link of someone actually doing this but can't find it.

and I'm sure you have a license to play around with project once completed outside of an anechoic chamber?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! The modulator design will definitely help. And I like the sweeping frequency idea a lot. The only potential problems is that we may be dealing with approaching cars which would introduce a slight doppler shift. If you are sweeping the frequency, the returned shifted frequency might create some error. We'll keep it in mind though. Thanks again!

1. How do you modulate a 2.4GHz signal?

Modulating a 2.4GHz signal refers to changing the characteristics of the signal, such as its amplitude, frequency, or phase, in order to transmit information. This can be done using techniques such as Amplitude Shift Keying (ASK), Frequency Shift Keying (FSK), or Phase Shift Keying (PSK).

2. What is the purpose of modulating a 3MHz signal?

Modulating a 3MHz signal is typically done to transmit data over a medium, such as radio waves or cables. By modulating the signal, the information can be encoded and decoded at the receiving end, allowing for communication between devices.

3. Can you explain the difference between 2.4GHz and 3MHz signals?

The main difference between a 2.4GHz and 3MHz signal is their frequency. 2.4GHz signals have a higher frequency, which allows them to carry more data at a faster rate than 3MHz signals. However, 3MHz signals have a longer wavelength, making them better suited for longer distance communication.

4. What are the advantages of modulating a signal at 2.4GHz?

Modulating a signal at 2.4GHz has several advantages, including high data transfer rates and a wide range of available channels. Additionally, 2.4GHz is an unlicensed frequency band, meaning it can be used for communication without needing to obtain a license.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to modulating a signal at 3MHz?

One potential drawback of modulating a signal at 3MHz is the limited data transfer rates compared to higher frequency signals. Additionally, 3MHz signals may be more susceptible to interference and noise, which can affect the quality of the transmitted data.