Battleship and Configuration probabilities

In summary, the conversation is about a study on how children think probabilistically while playing battleship. The main focus is on determining the probabilities of different ship configurations in a 10x10 grid, where 5 ships of varying lengths are placed either horizontally or vertically. There is difficulty in approaching the problem due to the variation in ship size and space constraints, with a suggestion to use a random simulation to simplify the number of cases.
cecih
Hi All,

I'm doing a study that looks at how children think probabilistically while playing battleship. I'm trying to figure out the probabilities of the different configurations of the ships that can exist. So for those that don't know battleship--there is a 10 x 10 grid and you have to hide 5 ships ( one of length 5, 1 of length 4, 2 of length 3, and 1 of length 2). The ships can traditionally only be placed horizontally or vertically. This leads to the following possible configurations: all 5 ships being placed horizontally, 4 ships being placed horizontally and 1 vertically, 3 ships being placed horizontally and 2 vertically, 2 ships being placed horizontally and 3 vertically, 1 ship being placed horizontally and 4 vertically, and all ships being placed vertically. Its been a while since I've done this type of math--so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start--and the variation in ship size as well as space constraints are throwing me off as well--any suggestions on how to approach this problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Cecilia

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tricky one - 120 ways to place the 1x5 ship (60 horiz, 60 vert), 140 ways to place the 1x4 etc ... multiplied together and subtracting the few that intersect, this would be about 10^10 combinations altogether. I'm not sure if there's a way to simplify this to a manageable number of separate cases, so maybe a random simulation would be the way to go?

What is a battleship and how is it played?

A battleship is a strategic guessing game that involves two players trying to sink each other's hidden ships on a grid. Each player takes turns calling out coordinates to try and hit the opponent's ships.

What are configuration probabilities in battleship?

Configuration probabilities in battleship refer to the likelihood of a specific ship placement on the grid based on the number of spaces it takes up and the shape it forms. These probabilities can help players make educated guesses about the locations of their opponent's ships.

How can understanding configuration probabilities improve gameplay?

By understanding configuration probabilities, players can make more strategic guesses about their opponent's ship placements, increasing their chances of winning the game. It also allows players to make more efficient use of their turns, targeting areas that are more likely to contain a ship.

What factors affect configuration probabilities in battleship?

The main factors that affect configuration probabilities in battleship include the number and size of ships, the shape of the ships (i.e. straight or curved), and the dimensions of the grid. The more information a player has about these factors, the more accurate their guesses will be.

Are there any strategies for improving configuration probabilities in battleship?

Yes, there are several strategies that players can use to improve their understanding of configuration probabilities in battleship. These include keeping track of opponent's previous guesses, using patterns to narrow down potential ship locations, and using process of elimination to eliminate unlikely ship placements.