RLC Circuit (with variable frequency)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency at which a circuit becomes purely resistive and calculating the effective resistance. The speaker is having trouble simplifying the solution and asks for ideas. One person provides a formula for solving the problem.
meb09JW

Homework Statement

Find the frequency at which the circuit becomes purely resistive and calculate the effective resistance.

Here is the circuit with the given solution-

23qgif.jpg

The trouble is, whilst the solution is simple enough, there are many places to go wrong, and the whole process is time comsuming. I've managed to simplify a few other answers given in this answer booklet, but for this one, i can't find an easier method.

Any ideas? I can't find a similar example in Hughes.

Thanks,
Josh.

Physics news on Phys.org
If Z is real so is 1/Z.

[tex]\frac{1}{Z}=\frac{R-j\omega L}{R^2+(\omega L)^2}+j\omega C=\frac{R}{R^2+(\omega L)^2}+j\omega( C-\frac{ L}{R^2+(\omega L)^2})[/tex]

ehild

I understand the frustration of complex solutions and the importance of finding easier methods. In this case, it may be helpful to first understand the concept of resonance in an RLC circuit. At resonance, the reactive components (inductance and capacitance) cancel each other out, leaving only the resistance in the circuit. This means that at resonance, the circuit becomes purely resistive.

To find the resonance frequency, you can use the formula f = 1/2π√(LC), where L is the inductance and C is the capacitance in the circuit. Once you have calculated the resonance frequency, you can calculate the effective resistance by using Ohm's Law (R=V/I) and measuring the voltage and current in the circuit at resonance.

It is also important to note that the effective resistance may vary depending on the quality factor (Q) of the circuit. A higher Q value means a sharper resonance peak and a more purely resistive circuit. Therefore, it may be helpful to also calculate the Q value of the circuit to get a better understanding of its behavior.

I recommend consulting your textbook or other resources for more examples and practice problems to improve your understanding of RLC circuits and resonance. With practice, you will become more familiar with the concepts and be able to find easier methods for solving these types of problems.

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is used to study the behavior of an electrical circuit when subjected to varying frequencies.

How does the frequency affect an RLC circuit?

The frequency of an RLC circuit determines the behavior and characteristics of the circuit. At resonance frequency, the circuit has maximum current flow and minimum impedance. As the frequency decreases or increases from the resonance frequency, the impedance of the circuit increases.

What is resonance frequency in an RLC circuit?

Resonance frequency is the frequency at which the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, canceling each other out. This results in maximum current flow and minimum impedance in the circuit.

How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula: fr = 1 / (2π√LC), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

What are the applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have various applications in electronics and electrical engineering, including in filters, oscillators, and signal processing. They are also used in radio and television circuits, as well as in electronic instruments for measuring frequency, voltage, and current.