Ideal Gas Law Problem: Balloon Volume Change @ Different Pressures

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the temperature of a gas inside a balloon after it is suddenly placed in a room with different pressure and temperature. The ideal gas law is used to calculate the number of moles of gas and determine that the temperature should remain unchanged. The concept of thermal equilibrium is also briefly discussed. Later, the concept of adiabatic expansion is brought up as an alternative approach to solving the problem.
PennyGirl

Homework Statement

You have a balloon (stretchy) filled with one liter of He at 1 atm and 298 Kalvin. The balloon is suddenly placed into a room at .5 atm and 298 Kalvin. What is the temperature of the gas inside the balloon a little while after this happens?

Homework Equations

P*V=n*R*T

The Attempt at a Solution

So first, I calculated the number of moles of He in the balloon, using the ideal gas law as follows...
(1 atm)*(1 L)=n*.0821*(298 K)
n=.0409 mol

Then, I said that...
P1*V1=P2*V2
(1atm)*(1L)=(.5atm)*(V2)
therefore, V2 = 2L

From there, (using ideal gas law again...)
(.5atm)*(2L)=.0409 mol(.0821)*(T)
T=298K
but this answer didn't make sense to me...shouldn't temperature in the balloon change?

Physics news on Phys.org
PennyGirl said:
Then, I said that...
P1*V1=P2*V2

This is only true if the temperature doesn't change! Your work is correct, though; the temperature should stay the same.

GunnaSix said:
This is only true if the temperature doesn't change! Your work is correct, though; the temperature should stay the same.

So...I was thinking at first that I could use P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2 so I would get
(1atm)*(1L)/(298K)=(.5atm)*(V2)/T2...but then I have two unknowns?

Then I tried that eqn with
(.5atm)*V2=.0409mol*.0821*T2

But these two equations are not indpendent? Help?

You're confusing yourself. The "temperature of the gas inside the balloon a little while after this happens" should be the same as the temperature of the room, or 298K.

GunnaSix said:
You're confusing yourself. The "temperature of the gas inside the balloon a little while after this happens" should be the same as the temperature of the room, or 298K.

For me wording is ambiguous. "A little while after" doesn't mean "after thermal equilibrium has been achieved". It can mean whatever you want. Say, 5 minutes. How is it related to thermal equilibrium? No idea.

--
methods

Borek said:
For me wording is ambiguous. "A little while after" doesn't mean "after thermal equilibrium has been achieved". It can mean whatever you want. Say, 5 minutes. How is it related to thermal equilibrium? No idea.

--
chemical calculators - buffer calculator, concentration calculator
www.titrations.info - all about titration methods

okay...so if I try and calculate the temp in the balloon "shortly after the action is performed" (exact wording from the problem), it shouldn't be 298K ? I also find this problem ambiguous, because I have no idea whether or not thermal equilibrium is reached, which would happen eventually...

Okay...i just realized that in the problem it states that the balloon is insulated...which means it shouldn't be 298 K (right?)...so what if i try an energy balance
I know that change in Q=0, change in W=0, and assume changes in kinetic and potential energy both equal zero, which means the change in entropy = 0
so, H = U + deltaP*V

H= (.5atm)*(1L)

but i don't remember how to calculate delta H, isn't it in a table or something?

PennyGirl said:
Okay...i just realized that in the problem it states that the balloon is insulated...which means it shouldn't be 298 K (right?)...so what if i try an energy balance
I know that change in Q=0, change in W=0, and assume changes in kinetic and potential energy both equal zero, which means the change in entropy = 0
so, H = U + deltaP*V

H= (.5atm)*(1L)

but i don't remember how to calculate delta H, isn't it in a table or something?
Why do you think the gas in the balloon did no work when it expanded against the 0.5 atm outside?

any other ideas on how to approach this problem? I feel like I'm heading in the wrong direction with this

You said the balloon is insulated, so the gas expands adiabatically. For adiabatic expansions, you have [itex]PV^\gamma=\texttt{constant}[/itex] where [itex]\gamma=c_p/c_v[/itex].

Thanks a ton! I had forgotted about that equation...

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law and how is it used in balloon volume change problems?

The Ideal Gas Law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and amount of gas (n) in a system. It can be written as PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant. In balloon volume change problems, the Ideal Gas Law is used to calculate the change in volume of a gas inside a balloon when the pressure is changed.

2. How does the pressure of a gas affect the volume of a balloon?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, as the pressure of a gas increases, its volume decreases, and vice versa. This is because an increase in pressure means that the gas particles are moving closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and volume in balloon volume change problems?

In balloon volume change problems, the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume of the gas inside the balloon also increases, and vice versa. This is because an increase in temperature causes the gas particles to move faster, resulting in an increase in volume.

4. How can the Ideal Gas Law be used to predict the volume of a balloon at a certain pressure?

To predict the volume of a balloon at a certain pressure, the Ideal Gas Law can be rearranged to solve for volume (V = nRT/P). Then, the known values of pressure, temperature, and amount of gas can be plugged in to calculate the volume of the balloon.

5. What are the units of measurement used in Ideal Gas Law problems?

In the Ideal Gas Law, pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and amount of gas in moles (mol). However, it is important to ensure that all units used in the equation are consistent to obtain accurate results.