Statistical mechanics: energy variance of ensemble

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a two state system with energies 0 and ε. The ensemble average, <E>, is expressed as ε / (e^βε + 1), where β is thermodynamic beta. The individual is seeking to convert this expression into one for the variance of the energy. A resource is provided with a formula for variance in a two level system, where a=0 and b=ε.
Dawei
I'm really lost on where to get started here. It's a two state system, one with energy 0 and the other with energy ε. I already have ensemble average, <E>, found to be:

ε / (e^βε + 1) , where β is thermodynamic beta, 1/KbT.

How do I convert this to an expression for the variance of the energy?

A more complete description of the problem can be found http://books.google.com/books?id=z6...in+thermal+physics&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false", on the top half of page 41:

I've already found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partit...chanics)#Relation_to_thermodynamic_variables" explanation, but I'm not connecting how it could be applied to this example:

Please, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general: variance = 2nd moment (m2) - mean square.

With a two level system, m2=a2P(a)+b2P(b), where a and b are the 2 levels. In your case a=0 and b=ε.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods and probability theory to understand and predict the behavior of large systems of particles, such as molecules in a gas or atoms in a solid.

2. What is an ensemble in statistical mechanics?

An ensemble in statistical mechanics refers to a collection of systems that are all in the same macroscopic state, but have different microscopic configurations. It allows for the study of the average behavior of a large number of identical systems.

3. What is energy variance in statistical mechanics?

Energy variance in statistical mechanics refers to the spread of energy values within an ensemble. It is a measure of the fluctuations of energy around the average value, and can provide important insights into the thermodynamic properties of a system.

4. How is energy variance of an ensemble calculated?

The energy variance of an ensemble can be calculated using the formula var(E) = - ², where is the average of the squared energy values and is the average energy value. This can also be written as the difference between the average of the squared energy values and the square of the average energy value.

5. Why is the energy variance of an ensemble important?

The energy variance of an ensemble is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior and stability of a system. A low energy variance indicates a more stable system, while a high energy variance suggests a more dynamic and fluctuating system. It is also a key factor in determining the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its heat capacity and entropy.