Seeking Secure File Storage Solutions

In summary: Rhody...I tried www.webasyst.net and it appears to work as advertised, allows you to upload all the file types I need (listed in title above), provides a secure link to download, password, protection, and the ability to delete the uploaded file if you so desire. You can add a comment, and publisher's name or email.It is a little clunky to use, but will allow users to attach documents to posts much larger than are allowed on the PF forum.You need to keep a copy of the download and admin links safe somewhere for future reference as ease of finding the file(s) you uploaded.
rhody
Gold Member
I hope this post goes here, if not I apologize, admin's feel free to move it if needed.

I need a place to store files listed in the title above where I can get link(s) for posting to forums, share with friends, etc... I use tinypic for posting pictures, and that works fine, but I need a place to share document files

I have looked into the new Google share feature (through gmail) that allows this and prefer to stay away from this method.

I did a fairly thorough search before posting this, both here and through google.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rhody...

Computer science news on Phys.org

Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.

mgb_phys said:
Dropbox.com

Their site explains it in detail but -
1, Create an account,
2, Download some software - creates a fodler on your machine, anythign in that folder gets synced (copied) with their server.
3, In this is a 'public' folder, anything you put in there you can give somebody a web link to for them to download.
The link is per-file and is randomised (they can't guess the link to any other file - they aren't browsable)

It's free for 2Gb of storage and about $5/month for unlimited
You can also use a web browser (with your user/passwd) to access your stuff from another machine.

Dear mgb_phys,

Thanks for the info, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, from another unrelated post here on PF I ran across this: http://www.2shared.com/advsearch.jsp" and the site appears to allow uploads of doc, excel, pdf files that I wanted.

What you you think ?

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:

I tried www.2shared.com and it appears to work as advertised, allows you to upload all the file types I need (listed in title above), provides a secure link to download, password, protection, and the ability to delete the uploaded file if you so desire. You can add a comment, and publisher's name or email.

It is a little clunky to use, but will allow users to attach documents to posts much larger than are allowed on the PF forum.

You need to keep a copy of the download and admin links safe somewhere for future reference as ease of finding the file(s) you uploaded.

I recently posted two .pdf files in a thread because they exceeded the maximum size limit, so this will help in the future. Try it and see if it works for you

Rhody...

http://www.webasyst.net/

Though the capacity is very limited, it has VERY long host time. i.e the link won't expire.

I just tried Webasyst... simple awesome.. have all the features which I was missing in dropbox and box including customizing the links.

The drawbacks were: only 100 mb of space. Larger links. But I'm happy with it :)

I've used DropBox before it's pretty easy. I know there was some security problems in the past though.

What is the importance of seeking secure file storage solutions?

Secure file storage solutions are crucial for protecting sensitive and valuable data. In today's digital age, businesses and individuals store a vast amount of data electronically, making it vulnerable to cyber attacks. Secure file storage solutions help prevent data breaches and ensure the safety and confidentiality of information.

What are the key features to look for in a secure file storage solution?

Some essential features to consider when seeking secure file storage solutions include encryption, access control, data backup and recovery, and compliance with industry standards and regulations. Encryption ensures that data is encoded and only accessible with an authorized key, while access control allows for restricted access to files. Data backup and recovery features are essential for protecting against data loss, and compliance with industry standards ensures that the solution meets necessary security requirements.

How do secure file storage solutions protect against data breaches?

Secure file storage solutions use various security measures, such as encryption and access control, to safeguard against data breaches. Encryption ensures that even if a hacker gains access to the data, they will not be able to read it without an authorized key. Access control allows for limited access to files, ensuring that only authorized individuals can view or edit sensitive information. These measures work together to prevent unauthorized access to data and protect against data breaches.

What are some common types of secure file storage solutions?

Some common types of secure file storage solutions include cloud storage, external hard drives, and virtual private servers. Cloud storage allows for remote storage of data on secure servers, while external hard drives offer physical storage of data. Virtual private servers provide a secure, private network for storing and accessing data. Each type of solution has its unique features and benefits, and it's essential to choose one that best fits the specific needs and requirements of the individual or organization.

What are the potential risks of not using a secure file storage solution?

The potential risks of not using a secure file storage solution include data breaches, loss or corruption of data, and non-compliance with industry regulations. Without proper security measures in place, sensitive data is vulnerable to cyber attacks, which can result in significant financial losses, damage to reputation, and legal consequences. Additionally, without data backup and recovery features, data could be permanently lost in the event of a system failure or cyber attack. Non-compliance with industry regulations can also result in penalties and legal ramifications for businesses and organizations.