Betting & Stochastic Processes

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding the implications of a challenge related to a stochastic process P that they can bet on. They have transformed P into a random walk and discovered that it follows a Gaussian distribution with equal probabilities of going up or down at each step. They are looking for suggestions for a positive betting strategy based on this information.
RomRom
Dear Community,

I am faced with a challenge. I can't quite grasp the implications of this.
I schould've listened better in statistics lectures! :blushing:
I would really appreciate your help. :)

I have a not normal stochastic process P on which I can bet.
Obviously, I don't know the distribution of P. It is somehow what I want to find in order to profit from the betting strategy.

I can either bet on the fact that P will increase in the future or that P will fall. (It works a bit like the stock-market, I like the analogy. I.e. I can either buy P or sell P. The value of P fluctuates over time).

What I did is take P through a "step function", so that I can map P to a random walk.
At each step, P can either go up or by the step size or go down by the step size. The step size is a fixed percentage of P's current value.
In other words, I had P represented in the value/time plane and I now have it in the value/step plane.

Now it turns out that P is gaussian in the value/step plane!
At every step, the probability of P going up/down is 0.5.

I think I can't fully grasp the implications of this.
Has anyone any idea how it can help betting on P?
What would be a positive expectancy betting strategy?

Thanks,

Julia

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about betting, but the probability of up/down = 0.5 could suggest any symmetric distribution (e.g. uniform), not just Gaussian.

What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model used to describe the evolution of a system over time. It is characterized by a random variable that changes over time and is used to model systems that involve randomness or uncertainty.

What is betting?

Betting is the act of placing a wager or bet on the outcome of an event, typically a sporting event or a game of chance. It involves risking money in the hope of winning a larger amount.

What is the difference between a random process and a stochastic process?

A random process is a sequence of events or outcomes that are unpredictable and have no pattern, while a stochastic process involves randomness and uncertainty, but also has a specific mathematical model that describes the evolution of the process over time.

How is probability theory used in betting?

Probability theory is used in betting to calculate the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring and to determine the odds of a particular bet. It helps to identify favorable bets and can be used to make informed decisions when placing bets.

What is the role of statistics in betting?

Statistics is used in betting to analyze past data and trends, and to make predictions about future outcomes. It helps bettors to make more informed decisions by providing a better understanding of the likelihood of an event occurring and the potential risks and rewards of a bet.