Can energy be transferred without doing work?(entropy)

• Thread starter gladius999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I'm almost getting to understand this. How come with an increase in entropy, there is an increase in the magnitude of deltaG, the energy available to do work? Should'nt it be a decrease as entropy is unavailable energy? Does the value TS (temperature in kelvin multiplied by entropy) in the gibbs free energy formula equal to the value of energy unable to do work??Yes, the value of TS in the Gibbs free energy equation is equal to the value of energy unavailable to do work.
gladius999
From my knowledge, I don't see how it is possible for energy to be transferred without doing work as in the case of entropy. What happens to the unavailable energy? how is it transferred in the first place?

Science news on Phys.org
gladius999 said:
From my knowledge, I don't see how it is possible for energy to be transferred without doing work as in the case of entropy. What happens to the unavailable energy? how is it transferred in the first place?

Energy can be transferred by heat or many other forms other than work. Take a look at a Thermodynamics textbook and review the section on the "general energy equation".

CS

In some sense that is kind of a loose definition of heat. Heat is essentially the transfer of energy through any method besides doing work.

Mechanical energy can be transferred from kinetic energy T to potential energy V, and back, like in a pendulum. T + V = constant means no energy loss. No "work" is done in this transfer.

Bob S

thanks for answering guys. How come some of the energy transferred is not able to do work? In a chemical reaction where does the unavailable energy come from? I know most energy is transferred as heat. I mean all energy can do work as long as it is transformed right?

gladius999 said:
thanks for answering guys. How come some of the energy transferred is not able to do work? In a chemical reaction where does the unavailable energy come from? I know most energy is transferred as heat. I mean all energy can do work as long as it is transformed right?

No. That's exactly what entropy means.

gladius999 said:
...How come some of the energy transferred is not able to do work?...

Due to irreversibilities inherent in all systems.

CS

I think I'm almost getting to understand this. How come with an increase in entropy, there is an increase in the magnitude of deltaG, the energy available to do work? Should'nt it be a decrease as entropy is unavailable energy? Does the value TS (temperature in kelvin multiplied by entropy) in the gibbs free energy formula equal to the value of energy unable to do work??

1. Can energy be transferred without doing work?

Yes, energy can be transferred without doing work. This type of energy transfer is known as heat transfer, which is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature.

2. How is energy transferred without doing work?

Energy is transferred without doing work through thermal conduction, convection, and radiation. These processes involve the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object.

3. What is entropy and how does it relate to the transfer of energy without doing work?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the transfer of energy without doing work, entropy increases as the thermal energy spreads out and becomes more evenly distributed between the objects involved.

4. Is it possible for the transfer of energy without doing work to occur in a closed system?

Yes, the transfer of energy without doing work can occur in a closed system as long as there is a difference in temperature between the objects involved. The total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, but the distribution of energy can change through heat transfer.

5. Can energy be transferred without doing work in a vacuum?

Yes, energy can be transferred without doing work in a vacuum. In fact, radiation is the main form of heat transfer in a vacuum, where there is no medium for conduction or convection to occur. This is how the Sun's energy reaches the Earth through space.