Proving Existence of a Point c for Taylor Expansion | Homework Statement

In summary, the problem involves proving the existence of a point c in the interval (a,b) such that |f''(c)| is greater than or equal to a certain value, given that f is differentiable on [a,b] and f'(a)=f'(b)=0. Using Taylor's theorem and the assumption that f'' exists, we can manipulate equations to show that |f''(c)|+|f''(d)|=|frac{4(f(b) -f(a))}{(b-a)^2}|, but it is unclear how to show that c and d are the same point.
talolard

Homework Statement

Let f be differentiable on [a,b] and f'(a)=f'(b)=0. Prove that if f'' exists then there exists a point c in (a,b) such that
[tex] test [/tex]
[tex] |f''(c)| \geq \frac{4}{(b-a)^2}|f(b)-f(a)| [/tex]

Homework Equations

All of the equations are supposed to be in absolute value but I had trouble getting tha tto apear so please assume that everything is bsolute value. I didnt use any inequalities so it shouldn't make much difference.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume f'' exists
Via Taylor we get that
1. [tex] f(x) (at a) = f(a) + f'(a)x + \frac{f''(c)}{2}(x-a)^2 = f(a)+\frac{f''(c)}{2}(x-a)^2 [/tex]
2. [tex] f(x) (at b) = f(b) + f'(b)x + \frac{f''(d)}{2}(x-b)^2 = f(a)+\frac{f''(d)}{2}(x-b)^2[/tex]
Then Via 1 we get that
3. [tex] |f(b)|= |f(a)+\frac{f''(c)}{2}(b-a)^2| \iff |\frac{2(f(b) -f(a))}{(b-a)^2}| = | f''(c)|[/tex]
via 2 we get that
4. [tex] |f(a)|= |f(b)+\frac{f''(d)}{2}(b-a)^2| \iff |\frac{2(f(b) -f(a))}{(b-a)^2}| = | f''(d)| [/tex]
adding equation 3 and 4 together we get
[tex] |f''(c)|+|f''(d)|=|frac{4(f(b) -f(a))}{(b-a)^2}| [/tex]
then [tex] \frac |{f''(c)+f''(d)}{2}|=|f''(e)| =| \frac{2(f(b) -f(a))}{(b-a)^2}| [/tex]

At this point I am stuck. I'm thinking that I can show that c and d are actualy the same point.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is true then we could say that |f''(e)|=|f''(c)|. But I dont know how to show that c and d are the same point. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

1. What is the purpose of proving the existence of a point c for Taylor expansion?

The purpose of proving the existence of a point c for Taylor expansion is to ensure that the Taylor series expansion is valid and can be used to approximate a function at a given point. It also allows us to determine the accuracy of the approximation.

2. How is the point c determined for Taylor expansion?

The point c for Taylor expansion is typically determined using the Mean Value Theorem. This theorem states that for a continuous function, there exists a point c in the interval between the center of the Taylor series and the point of expansion such that the slope of the tangent line at point c is equal to the slope of the secant line between the center and the point of expansion.

3. What is the significance of the Taylor expansion point c in calculus?

The point c in Taylor expansion is significant because it allows us to approximate a function at a given point using a polynomial that is infinitely differentiable. This is useful in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where functions can be complex and difficult to evaluate directly.

4. How does proving the existence of a point c for Taylor expansion relate to the convergence of the Taylor series?

The existence of a point c for Taylor expansion is directly related to the convergence of the Taylor series. If the Taylor series converges, then it must be valid for all values of x within the interval of convergence, including the point c. Proving the existence of a point c ensures that the Taylor series is convergent and can be used to approximate the function at that point.

5. Can the point c for Taylor expansion be outside the interval of convergence?

No, the point c for Taylor expansion must be within the interval of convergence for the Taylor series to be valid. If the point c is outside the interval of convergence, then the Taylor series may not converge or may not approximate the function accurately.