ODEs- Series Solutions Near a Regular Singular Point

In summary: And we have to find r for which there is a series solution.In summary, the given equation can be solved using the Frobenius method, which involves finding the indicial equation and using it to determine the values of r for which there is a series solution. The first equation yields four possible values for r, while the second equation involves expanding about x=2 and using a substitution to simplify the differential equation.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

6x2(x+1)2y''+0.5x(x+2)y'+y=0

ii) Find all values of r for which there is a series solution of form
xr[tex]\sum[/tex](anxn,n=0,inf)
a0 [tex]\neq[/tex]0

Find all values of r for which there is a series solution of form
inf
xr[tex]\sum[/tex]an(x-2)n
n=0
a0 [tex]\neq[/tex]0

Do not try to solve the problem, just find the values of r without solving for any constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was finding the indicial equation. For the first one I got 2 indicial equations, so I got 4 answers. Does it make sense ?

r=1/2
r=1/3
r=0
r=23/24
Also, if I try to reach the Eular equation, I get only the first two, but not the last two. Have I made any mistakes ?

And, I didn't know how to do the second one. Actually, I can do it but it would take me ages, so I believe there is a way to find r's without trying to reach the indicial equation.

Maybe I can try and reach the Eular equation?

Thanks,
Roni.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roni1985 said:

Homework Statement

6x2(x+1)2y''+0.5x(x+2)y'+y=0

ii) Find all values of r for which there is a series solution of form
xr[tex]\sum[/tex](anxn,n=0,inf)
a0 [tex]\neq[/tex]0

Find all values of r for which there is a series solution of form
inf
xr[tex]\sum[/tex]an(x-2)n
n=0
a0 [tex]\neq[/tex]0

Do not try to solve the problem, just find the values of r without solving for any constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was finding the indicial equation. For the first one I got 2 indicial equations, so I got 4 answers. Does it make sense ?

r=1/2
r=1/3
r=0
r=23/24
Also, if I try to reach the Eular equation, I get only the first two, but not the last two. Have I made any mistakes ?
Your second equation isn't an indicial equation; it just tells you how to calculate a1 in terms of a0. Only your first equation, the one involving only a0, dictates what the allowed values of r are.
Roni1985 said:
And, I didn't know how to do the second one. Actually, I can do it but it would take me ages, so I believe there is a way to find r's without trying to reach the indicial equation.

Maybe I can try and reach the Eular equation?
Think about when you need to use the Frobenius method as opposed to the regular old series solution.

Last edited:
vela said:
Your second equation isn't an indicial equation; it just tells you how to calculate a1 in terms of a0. Only your first equation, the one involving only a0, dictates what the allowed values of r are.

The thing is that the second equation is also for a0 and this is confusing me.
((12(r-1)*r+0.5*r)a0)x1+r=0

vela said:
Think about when you need to use the Frobenius method as opposed to the regular old series solution.
We use Frobenius method near singular regular points...
but I don't think I understand how to use the second one.

Roni1985 said:
The thing is that the second equation is also for a0 and this is confusing me.
((12(r-1)*r+0.5*r)a0)x1+r=0
Your missing another term that contributes to the coefficient of xr+1.

Roni1985 said:
We use Frobenius method near singular regular points...
but I don't think I understand how to use the second one.
Ignore my earlier question. :)

Are you sure you have the correct form for the second series? I'm guessing they wanted you to expand about x=2, so the series should be

[tex](x-2)^r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^n[/tex]

whereas you only have xr out front.

vela said:
Your missing another term that contributes to the coefficient of xr+1.

I went over it like 5 times, and I don't think I'm missing anything when I group a0

There are two terms but for a1...

And, how would you do the second one ?

Thanks.

Roni1985 said:
I went over it like 5 times, and I don't think I'm missing anything when I group a0

There are two terms but for a1...
You don't group by an. You group by powers of x.

vela said:
Ignore my earlier question. :)

Are you sure you have the correct form for the second series? I'm guessing they wanted you to expand about x=2, so the series should be

[tex](x-2)^r \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^n[/tex]

whereas you only have xr out front.
I have only xr, it might be a typo, though...
Say we have (x-2)r, should I go the regular Frobenius method ? Is it going to be like very very long for a question on an exam ? is there a shortcut ?

Thanks.

vela said:
You don't group by an. You group by powers of x.

hmmm... wow... thanks a lot.. didnt know this ...
appreciate it.

Roni1985 said:
I have only xr, it might be a typo, though...
Say we have (x-2)r, should I go the regular Frobenius method? Is it going to be like very very long for a question on an exam ? is there a shortcut?
I'd try the substitution u=x-2, and then go with the regular Frobenius method with the new differential equation.

vela said:
I'd try the substitution u=x-2, and then go with the regular Frobenius method with the new differential equation.

substitution... hmm, very smart :\

I'm going to try it...

Thanks.

Roni1985 said:
substitution... hmm, very smart :\

I'm going to try it...

Thanks.

because x=2 is reguler point, this eq has solution power serier.
And we can apply Frobinous theorem

1. What is a regular singular point?

A regular singular point is a point where a differential equation becomes singular, meaning that it cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is called "regular" because the differential equation remains well-behaved and has a finite solution at this point.

2. How do you find series solutions near a regular singular point?

To find series solutions near a regular singular point, you can use the method of Frobenius. This involves assuming a solution in the form of a power series, substituting it into the differential equation, and solving for the coefficients. The series will converge if the point is regular.

3. What is the radius of convergence for a series solution near a regular singular point?

The radius of convergence for a series solution near a regular singular point can be found using the ratio test. This test determines if the series converges or diverges based on the ratio between consecutive terms. If the limit of this ratio is less than 1, the series will converge and the radius of convergence can be found from this limit.

4. Can a regular singular point have multiple series solutions?

Yes, a regular singular point can have multiple series solutions. This is because the method of Frobenius can give rise to different solutions depending on the choice of initial terms in the power series. These solutions are known as linearly independent solutions.

5. How are series solutions near a regular singular point related to special functions?

Series solutions near a regular singular point can often be expressed in terms of special functions such as Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, or hypergeometric functions. These functions are useful in solving many types of differential equations and have important applications in physics and engineering.