Doctors grow jaw bone in man's back

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, German doctors were able to grow a new jaw bone on a man's back muscle and successfully transplant it to his mouth, allowing him to eat a bratwurst sandwich. This is a testament to the advancements in medicine, and highlights the importance of continued stem cell research. However, there were some complications and conflicts in the process.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
German doctors grow jaw bone replacement in man's back
Last Updated Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:21:53 EDT

LONDON - A German man was able to chow down on a bratwurst sandwich after surgeons grew a new jaw bone on his back muscle and transplanted the bone to his mouth. [continued]

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2004/08/27/jaw040827.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Wow, that is amazing. It's wonderful to see the advances in medicine. This is another reason that stem cell research needs to continue.

Next year's headline

Jaw Transplant Recipient Suffers Heart Attack From Eating Too Many Bratwurst Sandwiches

:biggrin:

Evo said:
Wow, that is amazing.

I know. When I read it my jaw hit the floor.

On a sad note, I heard there was a lot of backbiting in all of this.

Ivan Seeking said:
I know. When I read it my jaw hit the floor.

On a sad note, I heard there was a lot of backbiting in all of this.

heeheeheee heee hee! :rofl:

I'm home sick, didn't go out, feeling bad.

Then I see Ivan's & MIH's posts and realize how lucky I am to know them. :biggrin:

awwww.. Poor Evo! You got one of them summer colds that's going around?
Hope you are feeling better.

What is the significance of doctors growing jaw bone in a man's back?

The significance of doctors growing jaw bone in a man's back is that it allows for the regeneration of missing or damaged jaw bone tissue, which is crucial for proper jaw function and appearance. This procedure can greatly improve quality of life for individuals with jaw bone deficiencies.

How is the jaw bone grown in a man's back?

The jaw bone is grown in a man's back through a process called distraction osteogenesis. This involves using a device called a distractor, which is surgically implanted into the back and gradually moves bone segments apart, allowing new bone tissue to grow and fill in the gap.

What are the potential risks or complications of this procedure?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with growing jaw bone in a man's back. These may include infection, nerve damage, and failure of the bone to grow properly. It is important for patients to discuss these risks with their doctor before undergoing the procedure.

Is this procedure only for jaw bone deficiencies?

No, growing jaw bone in a man's back can also be used for other purposes, such as correcting facial deformities or lengthening limbs. However, it is most commonly used for jaw bone deficiencies.

What is the success rate of growing jaw bone in a man's back?

The success rate of this procedure varies depending on the individual case and the skill of the surgeon. Generally, it has a high success rate and is considered a safe and effective treatment option for those with jaw bone deficiencies.