Calculation of KCl and KI from Potentiometric Halide Titration with Ag+

In summary: Just make sure you are measuring the concentration of the species you are interested in. In summary, someone is trying to calculate the amount of KCl and KI in a solution, but they don't know how to do it. They are also having trouble figuring out how to do it with halide titration.
MitsuShai
Here's the experiment that I did: http://www.chem.uic.edu/fetzer/chem222/a…
from the first page to half of the second page.

How do I calculate the amount of KCl and KI in the solution?

The graph is suppose to be like a backwards S and it has two endpoints and I don't know how to do the calculations for it like finding the amount of KCl and KI in the unknown.
I know how to do it with regular acid-base titration, but I don't know how to do it with halide titration. And I don't think it's the same because everyone else is having trouble figuring it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
In lab, we were given a sample that contained an unknown amount of KI and KCl. We dissolved and diluted the sample to 100 mL's, then took a 25 mL aliquot. The aliquot was connected to a silver electrode (indicator) and pH meter (reference). We titrated with silver nitrate on mL at a time (shorter intervals around determined endpoints) to create a potentiometric graph with 2 endpoints - the first one for the disappearance of iodide, due to the lower solubility of AgI, and the second one for the disappearance of chloride. I'm not sure exactly how how to find the concentrations of KI and KCl. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attached is an excel of the data/graph - the y-axis is in milivolts and the x-axis is in mL of 0.0712 M AgNO3.

Thanks!

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/quantu.jpg/

Link from your first post doesn't work.

In general it is very simple - start with reaction equations. This is a simple stoichiometry at work, nothing more fancy.

This site may be of help:

http://www.titrations.info/precipitation-titration

It doesn't discuss how to detect end points using ion sensitive electrodes, but it doesn't matter how the end point was detected.

1. What is the purpose of a potentiometric halide titration with Ag+?

A potentiometric halide titration with Ag+ is used to determine the concentration of chloride (Cl-) and iodide (I-) ions in a solution. This information can be useful in various scientific fields, such as environmental monitoring and pharmaceutical analysis.

2. How does the titration with Ag+ work?

In this titration, a known amount of silver ions (Ag+) is added to the solution containing the halide ions. The silver ions react with the halide ions to form insoluble silver halide precipitates. As more silver ions are added, the precipitates will continue to form until all of the halide ions have been consumed. The point at which all the halide ions have reacted is known as the endpoint of the titration.

3. What is the role of the potentiometric electrode in this titration?

The potentiometric electrode is used to measure the potential difference between the solution and a reference electrode. As the titration progresses, the potential difference will change due to the formation of the silver halide precipitates. The endpoint of the titration is determined by a sudden change in the potential difference, indicating that all of the halide ions have been consumed.

4. How is the concentration of KCl and KI calculated from the titration results?

The concentration of KCl and KI can be calculated using the stoichiometry of the reaction between silver ions and the respective halide ions. The volume of silver ions added to reach the endpoint is known, and this can be used to calculate the initial concentration of the halide ions in the solution.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in this titration?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error in potentiometric halide titrations with Ag+. These include inaccurate measurement of volumes, errors in the calibration of the electrode, and the presence of other substances in the solution that may interfere with the reaction between silver ions and the halide ions. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.