Is there a short book on learning proofs?

In summary: I will give it a try and report back.In summary, someone is looking for a "short" book or resource on learning proofs. They are looking for a way to learn to do proofs in a short amount of time. There are some good resources out there, but the person is hoping for something more specific.
Saladsamurai
Is there a "short" book on learning proofs?

I realize that is probably an oxymoron :smile: I know that proofs take getting used to and lots of practice. However, I am in a bind here. I am an engineering student, so as you might imagine, I have almost never been asked to prove something mathematically. However, I am taking a graduate mathematical methods course and my professor thinks he is really funny. We never do anything proof-like in class, but they were all over our exam. Naturally, not one person out of 80 answered any of them.

I am kind of up to the challenge though. The problem is, there are only 4 weeks left until the final. I know I cannot completely master these things in such a short time, but I would like to make an effort to learn enough that I can at least write something when see one. I was hoping there might be a short book, or web resource that could give like the "top ten" approaches or things to look for when starting a proof. Even a if there is a longer text, but someone knows of a few good chapters that could give me an edge. Maybe the introductory chapters of a book you have read were the most helpful, or helped you learn how to get into the mindset of doing these.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

You might want to take a look at the Wikipedia article on Mathematical proof. Some of the external links at the end of the article might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

the basic rule for doing a proof is to know the definitions cold.

i.e. to prove every wozzle is a wizzle, you just start by writing down the precise definition of a wozzle, and also that of a wizzle, and then you try to see why one being true forces the other also to be true.

in a math class, to prove something is true, you often have a theorem that has that something as its consequence. to apply it in a specific case, you then check that the hypotheses of that theorem hold in that case.

proofs & refutations by lakatos. it's probably not quite the most "short" or elementary, but it's good

a basic proof technique is by contradiction. so for this you must practice negating statements. e.g. to disprove that every wozzle is a wizzle, you must show there is at least one wozzle which is not a wizzle. so you only have to find one counterexample.

e.g. to disprove the false version of the fundamental theorem of aLGEBRA THAT EVERY COMPLEX POLYNOMIAL HAS A ROOT, just EXHIBIT THE constant POLYNOMIAL f(z) = 1.

You could try 'How To Prove It', but that may be too basic to help, I can't be sure since you're an engineering student yet you're taking a high level maths class. It's by David Vellemen.

EDIT: Oops! Someone above recommended it already. Still, it's pretty good. Builds from the basics, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for all of the replies folks! :smile: I found a copy of How to Prove It for really cheap.

1. What is a proof?

A proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a statement or theorem. In mathematics and science, proofs are used to verify the correctness of a claim or to establish a new result.

2. Why is learning proofs important?

Learning proofs is important because it teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and reasoning skills. It also allows for a deeper understanding of concepts and helps build a strong foundation for further learning in mathematics and science.

3. Is there a specific method for learning proofs?

Yes, there are various methods for learning proofs, but it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style. Some common methods include breaking down the proof into smaller steps, using diagrams or visual aids, and practicing with different examples.

4. How can I improve my proof-writing skills?

Some ways to improve proof-writing skills include actively engaging in practice problems, seeking feedback from peers or instructors, and studying and analyzing well-written proofs for structure and clarity. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts.

5. Are there any resources available for learning proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning proofs, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It can also be helpful to attend workshops or seek guidance from a tutor or instructor.