Cross Product of Curl Identity

In summary, the conversation was about deriving the electromagnetic stress tensor and a specific cross product that needed to be expanded. The book states that this special case is equal to 1/2 times the gradient of E squared minus the dot product of E and the gradient of E. The individual was struggling to prove this themselves and asked for assistance. After discussing the components and using the identity given, they were able to successfully work it out.
EricTheWizard
Hi, I've been trying to derive the electromagnetic stress tensor on my own, and I've run into a bit of a problem. I have a cross product of a curl [tex](\vec{E}\times(\nabla\times\vec{E}))[/tex] that I need to expand, and the typical [tex]\vec{A}\times(\vec{B}\times\vec{C})=\vec{B}(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{C})-\vec{C}(\vec{A}\cdot\vec{B})[/tex] isn't cutting it, as the book says this special case is [tex]\vec{E}\times(\nabla\times\vec{E})=\frac{1}{2}\nabla(E^2)-(\vec{E}\cdot\nabla)\vec{E}[/tex]. I've been trying to work this out myself on paper, but to no avail. Can anyone point me to a proof for this or show me how? Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that we have:
[tex]\vec{E}\times(\nabla\times\vec{E})=\vec{E}\times((E_{3,2}-E_{2,3})\vec{i}_{1}+(E_{1,3}-E_{3,1})\vec{i}_{2}+(E_{2,1}-E_{1,2})\vec{i}_{3})[/tex]
where E_{i,j} means the i'th component differentiated with respect to the jth variable.

Furthermore, we get, as our i_1-component as we cross-multiply:
[tex]=(E_{2}(E_{2,1}-E_{1,2})-E_{3}(E_{1,3}-E_{3,1}))\vec{i}_{1}=(E_{2}E_{2,1}+E_{3}E_{3,1}+E_{1}E_{1,1})\vec{i}_{1}-(E_{1}E_{1,1}+E_{2}E_{1,2}+E_{3}E_{1,3})\vec{i}_{1}[/tex]
where I added&subtracted [itex]E_{1}E_{1,1}[/itex].

You should be able to do the other two components now, along with showing the identity you were given

ahh, it was adding and subtracting that [tex]E_i E_{i,i}[/tex] that I was missing and was screwing me up. But I managed to work it out now. Thanks for your help!

What is the cross product of curl identity?

The cross product of curl identity refers to a mathematical identity that describes the relationship between the curl of a vector field and its cross product with another vector field. It is often used in vector calculus to simplify calculations involving curl operations.

How is the cross product of curl identity derived?

The cross product of curl identity is derived from the vector identity known as the triple product rule, which states that the cross product of two vectors can be rewritten as the determinant of a matrix formed by the three vectors. By applying this rule to the curl operation, the cross product of curl identity can be obtained.

What is the significance of the cross product of curl identity in physics?

In physics, the cross product of curl identity is used to simplify the equations of motion for objects in a rotating reference frame. It is also an important tool in electromagnetism, as it helps to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of the cross product of curl identity?

The cross product of curl identity is commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also utilized in computer graphics and engineering applications, such as modeling the flow of fluids and designing electromagnetic devices.

Can the cross product of curl identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the cross product of curl identity can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 4-dimensional spacetime. In these cases, the cross product is replaced by the exterior product, and the curl operation is replaced by the exterior derivative. This allows for the application of the identity in more complex mathematical systems.