Black Hole Charge and Quantum Field Theory Interactions

In summary: The forces that arise from normal spatial situations should arise from within the black hole.Yes, new forces could arise, but shouldn't they be the same as the forces we feel and don't feel here today?
Goongyae
My understanding is that, according to quantum field theory, for two electrically charged particles to interact, it is necessary for them to exchange gauge bosons (photons).

If a charged particle is dropped into a black hole, it will appear to be stuck at its horizon and increasingly redshifted. Is this particle capable of emitting a photon and engaging in an electromagnetic interaction? It seems quite difficult to shoot out a photon from so close to the horizon. Furthermore, a photon flung from outside toward the particle, in an attempt to engage it, would appear to get closer and closer but never quite reach that particle.

And if mass is added to the hole, so that the horizon expands, is the particle now truly inside the hole? Then it could never emit a photon outside the hole.

Are electromagnetic interactions with a charged hole basically impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, looks like no one has responded. Anyway, I've been thinking more about it, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a charged particle dropped into a black hole is basically cut off from the external universe. If a light signal can't even be received from the particle then surely momentum cannot be transferred with the particle?

If what I say is true, then a black hole essentially has 0 charge. Only, when it finally evaporates, will its contents be released and its true charge be revealed.

Since a black hole produces random radiation, it should be possible over a short period of time for it to emit, for example, more electrons than anti-electrons. The average of the black hole charge will not change with time, but the square (or absolute value) of the average should continue to grow since the black hole cannot be corrected when it creates an imbalance. An ancient black hole should be hiding a large resevoir of charge.

Hi,

It could be that excess charge on a black hole congregates at the event horizon, allowing interactions on the EM level.

It is also possible that black holes emit radiation due to a pulsating inflation type field arising near or at the singularity. If this field were large enough then the black hole could explode at any time.

These are just a speculations.

juju

What would this inflatrionary field be regulated by? The outer charge, and what if the charge is strong enough to pull the field to the event horizon. SRY, curiosity is my bane.

Hi,

I would speculate that the inflation (or even dark energy) type field would be created and regulated by new basic field potential symmetries arising in the close neighborhood of the singularity, having the singularity as their convergence point.

juju

juju said:
Hi,

I would speculate that the inflation (or even dark energy) type field would be created and regulated by new basic field potential symmetries arising in the close neighborhood of the singularity, having the singularity as their convergence point.

juju
Exactly where would i find information about these field potential symetries? I have looked for them and have not been able to find them. Could you please provide me with the information for reveiw, so I could expand my thinking on this subject.
Thank you Juju,
avemt1

avemt1 said:
Exactly where would i find information about these field potential symetries?

Most of this speculation is directly out of my own thoughts on the subject. I have not really read anything about it.

However, consider the symmetries inherent in Electro/weak theory and Strong force theory. Mass, as well as these forces, could possibly arise from similar symmetries in a basic potential space/time energy/momentum field. In the close in situation around a black hole singularity, these basic symmetries could combine to produce new levels from which a different type of force could arise.

This might also help explain the arising of the inflation field that is said to be responsible for the big bang.

juju

Last edited:
Yes, new forces could arise, but shouldn't they be the same as the forces we feel and don't feel here today?

avemt1 said:
Yes, new forces could arise, but shouldn't they be the same as the forces we feel and don't feel here today?

Do we "feel" the strong force and the weak force? We inferred the strong force to hold the nucleus together and we observed the weak force in radioactive decay, but would our ancestors ever have found them without the traditions of twentieth century particle physics?

avemt1 said:

We don't feel the inflationary force or the dark energy force directly, yet it is accepted that some type of force exists or has existed to produce the effects attributed to these.

juju

I'm sorry I did not expalin. I simply ment that the forces that arise from normal spatial situations should arise from within the black hole. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Hi Avemt1,

If new field configurations and symmetries arise near the singularity, then it may be that new forces, different than those we are familiar with, can arise from this. They need not be the same as our ordinary everyday forces.

juju

Goongyae said:
Hmm, looks like no one has responded. Anyway, I've been thinking more about it, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a charged particle dropped into a black hole is basically cut off from the external universe. If a light signal can't even be received from the particle then surely momentum cannot be transferred with the particle?

If what I say is true, then a black hole essentially has 0 charge. Only, when it finally evaporates, will its contents be released and its true charge be revealed.

Since a black hole produces random radiation, it should be possible over a short period of time for it to emit, for example, more electrons than anti-electrons. The average of the black hole charge will not change with time, but the square (or absolute value) of the average should continue to grow since the black hole cannot be corrected when it creates an imbalance. An ancient black hole should be hiding a large resevoir of charge.
I think the new conclusion is that the radiation isn't random. Isn't that what Hawking's newest paper says?

Goongyae said:
I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a charged particle dropped into a black hole is basically cut off from the external universe. If a light signal can't even be received from the particle then surely momentum cannot be transferred with the particle?

This would be true of the particle approach to EM interactions. That is, they are exchanges of virtual photons.

However, the field approach to EM may allow momentum transfer from charges, even if they are inside the BH event horizen.

juju

1. What is the relationship between black hole charge and quantum field theory interactions?

The relationship between black hole charge and quantum field theory interactions is a complex one that is still being studied and understood by scientists. Essentially, black holes are believed to have a charge, just like any other object in the universe. This charge can interact with the surrounding quantum fields, affecting the behavior and properties of the black hole. Quantum field theory helps to explain the underlying interactions and dynamics of these systems.

2. Can black holes have a net electrical charge?

Yes, black holes can have a net electrical charge. This charge is determined by the amount of matter with positive or negative charge that falls into the black hole. The charge of a black hole can also change over time as it absorbs charged particles from its surroundings.

3. How do black holes interact with the quantum vacuum?

Black holes interact with the quantum vacuum through the creation and annihilation of virtual particles. The strong gravitational pull of a black hole can cause these virtual particles to become real, resulting in the emission of Hawking radiation. This interaction between black holes and the quantum vacuum is an important aspect of quantum field theory.

4. Can a black hole's charge be measured?

It is currently not possible to measure the charge of a black hole directly. However, scientists can infer the charge of a black hole by studying its effects on its surroundings and the particles that it emits. Future advancements in technology may allow for more direct measurements of a black hole's charge.

5. How does the charge of a black hole affect its properties?

The charge of a black hole can affect its properties in several ways. For example, a charged black hole can have a different shape and behavior than a neutral black hole. It can also interact with other charged particles and fields in its environment, leading to complex dynamics and potential effects on its surroundings. Additionally, the charge of a black hole can affect the rate at which it emits Hawking radiation, potentially impacting its lifespan.