Calculating Area of Hyperbola & Line Region

In summary, when integrating \int \sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}dx, the answer is 3/2 x{\sqrt{x^2-4}} - 6 ln(x+\sqrt{x^2-4}) where x=2sec(\theta). However, when substituting x=2sec(\theta)tan(\theta)-ln(sec(\theta)+tan(\theta))) into 6(sec(\theta)tan(\theta)-ln(sec(\theta)+tan(\theta))) the answer is 4.2878 sq units.
tangur
Find the area of the region bounded by the hyperbola [tex]9x^2-4y^2 = 36[/tex] and the line [tex]x = 3[/tex].

I'm thinking that I have to integrate for x, so I'll have the sum of twice the area from [tex]2[/tex] to [tex]3[/tex].
The function will be [tex] + \sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}[/tex]

hence, the integral will be[tex] 2\int_2^3 {\sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}}dx [/tex]
I just wanted to know if my reasoning is right

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me. Go ahead with it.

when I integrate [tex]\int \sqrt {\frac {9x^2-36}{4}}dx[/tex] I get as an answer [tex]\frac {3}{2} x{\sqrt {x^2-4}} - 6 ln({\frac {x}{2}}+\frac{\sqrt {x^2-4}}{2})[/tex] however maple gives me [tex]\frac {3}{2} x{\sqrt {x^2-4}} - 6 ln(x+\sqrt {x^2-4})[/tex]

I used [tex]x=2sec(\theta)[/tex] hence [tex]\frac {x}{2}=sec(\theta)[/tex] so [tex]tan(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{x^2-4}}{2}[/tex]

which I substituted into [tex]6(sec(\theta)tan(\theta)-ln(sec(\theta)+tan(\theta)))[/tex]

I know its Saturday night and any help will greatly be appreciated

Thanks

Weird, overall it gives the same answer, 4.2878 sq units, in both maple and on paper, however I don't understand how maple takes the 1/2 out of the ln.

Ok, I quadrupled checked my integral and it is right, it seems that even though maple does not display the 1/2 it still accounts for it.

i'm not sure but i don't think that the 1/2 over the guys inside the natural log have any impact on a definite integratl. combining the two you would get that sum of the numerators over 2. which would be the natural log of the top minus ln 2 -- which being a constant wouldn't be affected by variables.

why it's there, I'm clueless. the only thing i could think of is the values determined by the trig functions of theta, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
er edit: maybe maple simplified it out as it can be included in C indefinintly , and is extraneous in the case of a definant integral

i quickly worked out the same answer you had, i haven't ever used maple so i don't know.

Last edited:
The only difference between

[tex]ln({\frac {x}{2}}+\frac{\sqrt {x^2-4}}{2})[/tex]
and
[tex]ln({x+ \srt{x^2- 4})[/tex]
is -ln(2) which is a constant.
Anti-derivatives can have any constant added and, anyway, cancels when you evaluate at the limits of integration.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a hyperbola?

The formula for calculating the area of a hyperbola is A = πab, where a and b are the distances from the center of the hyperbola to the vertices.

2. How do you find the area of a line region?

To find the area of a line region, you first need to calculate the length of the line segment using the distance formula. Then, you can use the formula A = base x height to determine the area of the region.

3. Can the area of a hyperbola be negative?

No, the area of a hyperbola cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it is a measure of the space enclosed by the curve.

4. What are the units for measuring the area of a hyperbola?

The units for measuring the area of a hyperbola will depend on the units used to measure the distances a and b. For example, if a and b are measured in meters, the area will be in square meters.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the area of a hyperbola?

Yes, there is an alternative formula for calculating the area of a hyperbola, which is A = (πab)/2. This formula is derived from the fact that the area of a hyperbola is equal to half of the area of the ellipse with the same foci and major axis as the hyperbola.