Solving Problem Involving Cross Product

In summary, the problem is that I don't know how to find v given u and w. Someone who can help me with this is appreciated.
azizz
Hey,

I have a problem that can be written in the following form:

u=v x w

where u, v, w are 3by1 vectors and x is the cross product.
now I want to write v in term of u and w, but I have no idea of how to get vector v out of the previous equation. Someone who can help me with this?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
azizz said:
Hey,

I have a problem that can be written in the following form:

u=v x w

where u, v, w are 3by1 vectors and x is the cross product.
now I want to write v in term of u and w, but I have no idea of how to get vector v out of the previous equation. Someone who can help me with this?

Thanks a lot

The cross product vector,u, points perpendicular to the plane spanned by w and v and its length is the area of the parallelogram that w and v span. Look at the simple case where w and v lie in the xy-plane. Is there a unique solution for v given w and u?

Last edited:
Sorry about that. Its more than obvious that it is impossible to solve the problem as I stated it before.

Let me give you some more information about my issue. And what I want to do. Perhaps that will make it more clear.

Suppose we have a wig with a centre of gravity x and a rotating point o.

-----------------------
| . . . . . . .x. . . . . . . .|
-----------0-----------
1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2

(just ignore the points . . . . .)

Then we have three forces: Fg (gravity force working on x), F1 and F2 (forces to keep the wig in equilibrium, working on the points indicated by 1 and 2). The location of the cog x with respect to the rotating point o is denoted by r.
The moment due to the gravity working on the cog is computed as: M = r x F, with x being the cross product.
Now suppose I am able to measure M and F, and I want to compute the location of the cog, that is, I want to know r.
If I only do a measurement as indicated above, I can not determine r.
But if I now do two additional measurements by rotating the setup by +30 and -30 degrees I have three measurements:
M1 = R1 (r x F1)
M2 = R2 (r x F2)
M3 = R3 (r X F3)
where R is the euler rotation matrix to transform the coordinates in the rotated setup to the initial position as indicated in my figure. That means that for the first measurement R1=Identity.
So here comes my question again: is it now possible to compute r, if the only unknown variable in the three equations above is r?

Thanks again

Last edited:

1. What is the cross product and how is it used in problem-solving?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is used in problem-solving to find the direction and magnitude of a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors.

2. How do I calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you can use the following formula: A x B = (Ay*Bz - Az*By, Az*Bx - Ax*Bz, Ax*By - Ay*Bx). This will give you the components of the resulting vector in the form (x, y, z).

3. What are some real-world applications of cross products?

Cross products have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating magnetic forces, determining the torque on an object, and creating 3D graphics for video games and movies.

4. Are there any special properties of the cross product that can be helpful in problem-solving?

Yes, there are several properties of the cross product that can be useful in problem-solving. These include the fact that the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero, the cross product is anti-commutative (A x B = -B x A), and the magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two original vectors times the sine of the angle between them.

5. Can the cross product be used to find the area of a parallelogram?

Yes, the magnitude of the cross product of two vectors is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by those vectors. This can be a useful application in geometry and trigonometry problems.