Why Does One Mole of Any Gas Occupy Same Volume?

In summary, the individual is seeking an explanation for why one mole of any gas occupies the same volume, but has been unable to find a satisfactory answer through internet research. They are asking for assistance and referencing a possible explanation from Wikipedia.
Bashyboy
Okay, I have searched the internet for why one mole of any gas occupies the same volume, and found the internet devoid of any explanation that will suffice in my understanding. Can someone please help me

Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Okay, I have searched the internet for why one mole of any gas occupies the same volume, and found the internet devoid of any explanation that will suffice in my understanding. Can someone please help me

Thank you

I assume http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molar_volume" [Broken] did not meet with your satisfaction?

Last edited by a moderator:
More precisely: all gases that can be approximated as ideal gas occupy the same volume.

1. What is a mole of gas?

A mole of gas refers to the amount of gas that contains 6.022 x 10^23 particles, which is known as Avogadro's number. This number is equivalent to the number of atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. Why does one mole of any gas occupy the same volume?

This is because one mole of any gas at standard temperature and pressure (STP) occupies a volume of 22.4 liters. This is known as molar volume and is the same for all gases regardless of their molecular weight or chemical properties.

3. What is the significance of using moles to measure gas?

Moles are used to measure gas because it allows for a consistent and convenient unit of measurement. Since one mole of any gas occupies the same volume, it makes it easier to compare and calculate the amount of gas in a given volume. It also allows for the use of the ideal gas law, which relates the amount of gas in moles to its pressure, volume, and temperature.

4. How does the concept of moles relate to the behavior of gases?

Moles are directly related to the behavior of gases because the number of moles of gas present in a given volume affects the pressure and temperature of the gas. According to the ideal gas law, as the number of moles increases, the pressure and temperature of the gas will also increase.

5. Is the volume occupied by one mole of gas always 22.4 liters?

No, the volume occupied by one mole of gas is only 22.4 liters at standard temperature and pressure (STP), which is 0 degrees Celsius and 1 atmosphere of pressure. At different temperatures and pressures, the volume occupied by one mole of gas will vary according to the ideal gas law.