Existence of a natural number X

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the existence of a natural number X when given another natural number M. The conversation also includes a potential solution using mathematical equations, but there is uncertainty about the validity and completeness of the proof. The participants express a feeling of uneasiness and question if the problem may have been misinterpreted.
h.shin

Homework Statement

Given [itex]M \in N[/itex], show that there exists an [itex] X \in N [/itex] such that for all [itex] n \geq X [/itex], [itex] n^2+n+1 \succ M [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both M and X are natural numbers and I am just trying to prove the existence of a certain natural number X, I thought that i could just set X = M.
Then, n^2+n+1 [itex]\geq[/itex] X^2+X+1 since n [itex]\geq[/itex] X.
And X^2+X+1=M^2+M+1[itex]\succ[/itex]M.
So, n^2+n+1[itex]\succ[/itex]M.
Is this a sufficient proof for the existence of X?
It just doesn't feel like a full proof, should X be more limited?

Physics news on Phys.org
If that is the correct statement of the problem, I don't see anything wrong with your argument. But I have an uneasy feeling like you do. Since it seems so trivial I wonder if the original problem is mis-copied or misunderstood.

1. What is a natural number?

A natural number is a positive integer (whole number) starting from 1 and continuing on to infinity. It does not include any fractions or decimals. Examples of natural numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

2. Is the number 0 considered a natural number?

No, 0 is not considered a natural number. Natural numbers are only positive integers, and 0 is not a positive integer.

3. How do we know that natural numbers exist?

Natural numbers exist as a fundamental part of mathematics and are used to count and measure quantities. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as counting objects or measuring time. The concept of natural numbers has been developed and studied by mathematicians for centuries and is widely accepted as a fundamental concept.

4. Can natural numbers be proven to exist?

Natural numbers cannot be proven to exist in the same way that physical objects can be proven to exist. However, they can be defined and their properties can be studied and verified through mathematical reasoning and logic. The widespread use and acceptance of natural numbers in mathematics and everyday life also provide evidence for their existence.

5. Are natural numbers infinite?

Yes, natural numbers are infinite. There is no largest natural number, and they continue on to infinity. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has been studied and proven by mathematicians through various theories and proofs.