Evaluating Series Homework Statement

• Thread starter Ocasta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: ZXJ5OiBIb3dub3N0IFN0YXRlbWVudCAKRmlyc3QsIEknbGQgdGhlbiB5b3UgdGhhdCBpbiB0aGUgZm9ybWF0IHBhcnRpY2lwYXRlcyBhbmQgc2VyaWVzIGV4dHJhbmNlIGZyaXN0cmluZy4gSXQgY29tbXVuaXR5LCB0aGlzIGNhbiBiZSByZXB1dGVkIHJlYWRpbmcgdGhlIG
Ocasta

Homework Statement

First, I'd like to thank everybody a head of time. You guys have been an enormous help.

Second, I don't mind telling you that I'm finding sequences and series extremely frustrating. I usually pick this stuff up like nobody's business.

My problem is attached, but I will copy it down as I understand it.[itex]
r = \frac{11}{24}
[/itex]

[itex]
\sum _{i=1} ^\inf nr^n
[/itex]

Mysteriously, this can be rewritten as
[itex]
\sum_{i=1} ^n ir^i = \frac{ nr^{n+2} - (n+1)r^{n+1} + r }{ (1 - r)^2 }
[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]
\sum _{i=1} ^\inf nr^n \rightarrow
n \sum _{i=1} ^\inf r^n \rightarrow
n \frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
n \frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]
This is a number greater than one,
[itex]
\frac{24}{13}
[/itex]

So as n goes to infinity, the number just gets bigger and bigger right? Diverges to infinite is, apparently, not the answer.

Attachments

• PSSet_16 3.jpg
    PSSet_16 3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Ocasta said:

Homework Statement

First, I'd like to thank everybody a head of time. You guys have been an enormous help.

Second, I don't mind telling you that I'm finding sequences and series extremely frustrating. I usually pick this stuff up like nobody's business.

My problem is attached, but I will copy it down as I understand it.

[itex]
r = \frac{11}{24}
[/itex]

[itex]
\sum _{i=1} ^\inf nr^n
[/itex]

Mysteriously, this can be rewritten as
[itex]
\sum_{i=1} ^n ir^i = \frac{ nr^{n+2} - (n+1)r^{n+1} + r }{ (1 - r)^2 }
[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]
n \frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]
n \frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]

[itex]
\frac{1}{1-r}
[/itex]
This is a number greater than one,
[itex]
\frac{24}{13}
[/itex]

So as n goes to infinity, the number just gets bigger and bigger right? Diverges to infinite is, apparently, not the answer.

You switched summation indices incorrectly. The series is either sum_{i} i*r^i or sum_{n} n*r^n; it is NOT sum_{i} n*r^n or whatever. Go back and read the question more carefully.
Remember: |r| = 11/24 is less than 1---that matters a lot.

RGV

What is the purpose of evaluating series in homework assignments?

Evaluating series is a fundamental skill in mathematics and science that allows us to determine the sum of an infinite number of terms. It is often used in homework assignments to test our understanding of mathematical concepts and to develop problem-solving skills.

How do I know when to use a specific method for evaluating a series?

There are several methods for evaluating series, such as the geometric series test, telescoping series, and the integral test. The choice of method depends on the type of series and the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully read the instructions and problem statement to determine which method is most appropriate.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating series?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for convergence or divergence before attempting to evaluate a series. It is also important to carefully apply the correct formula or method for each type of series. Another mistake is not simplifying the terms of the series before attempting to evaluate them.

What are some tips for improving my skills in evaluating series?

Practice is key to improving your skills in evaluating series. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and formulas, and try solving a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

How does evaluating series relate to real-world applications?

Evaluating series is not only a mathematical exercise, but it also has real-world applications. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with varying acceleration, or the total amount of interest earned on an investment with compound interest. It is a valuable skill for solving problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.