Derivation of Newtons equation of motion

In summary, the Kalman filter is an equation of motion predictor-corrector algorithm that uses the equations of motion to predict the location of missing data. The problem the author is having is that the derivation for the equation of motion is not clear to them.
physical101

Homework Statement

Hi there, I have been trying to use the Kalman filter to predict the location of some missing data with an 4D volume. I have coded it and got it to work but only because of the substational amount of literature which is availlable on the subject. What I am really confused with is the background of the filter.

Basically the filter uses the equations of motion to predict the location of missing objects. The details of the algorithm arent that important at the momemt, mainly because I have got it working.

The problem I have is the derivation for the equation of motion everyone uses in their literature.

I just can't get it right, well what the paper has published anyway.

Homework Equations

The new position, xk+1, is given by:

xk+1= xk + Δt dx/dt + 1/2 Δt2d2x/dt2

The first derivative of this function is reported as being

dxk+1/dt=dx/dt + Δt d2x/dt2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see for the life of me how they got this. I have a solution of my own but it is massive because I assumed

1) You could split the function up as it is additive

2) I took the derative of x

3) Then used the product rule on the rest of the function

I obviously have got this seriously wrong, the paper is here at:

https://extranet.cranfield.ac.uk/stamp/,DanaInfo=ieeexplore.ieee.org+stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1213548

Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see that paper as it needs passwords

It looks like just a taylor series approximation to x, given x_k
[tex]x_{k+1} =
x(t_{k+1} ) \approx = x_k + \frac{dx(t)}{dt}|_{t=t_k}(t_{k+1} -t_k)+\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} |_{t=t_k}(t_{k+1}-t_k)^2+..
= x_k + \frac{dx(t_k)}{dt}\Delta t+\frac{d^2x(t_k)}{dt^2}\Delta t^2+..[/tex]

Then with a little rearrangement, and taking the approximation
[tex]\Delta x_{k+1} =x_{k+1}- x_k
\approx (\frac{dx(t_k)}{dt}+\frac{d^2x(t_k)}{dt^2}\Delta t)\Delta t[/tex]

which should get you pretty close...

would be interested to see the paper if you have a reference

That's not really an 'equation of motion'. It's a predictor-corrector expression for the time evolution. You could just use [itex]x(t+\Delta t)=x(t)+\Delta t v(t)[/itex] where velocity [itex]v=\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. But you would find that form accumulates error quickly. The reason is that you are using the velocity at time t to predict the whole motion from time [itex]t[/itex] to [itex]t+\Delta t[/itex]. It would be much more accurate if you could use an estimate for velocity at the midpoint [itex]t+\frac{\Delta t}{2}[/itex]. They do this by estimating [itex]v(t+\Delta t)=v(t)+\Delta t a(t)[/itex] where the acceleration is [itex]a=\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2}[/itex]. They then estimate [itex]v(t+\frac{\Delta t}{2})[/itex] by the average [itex]\frac{v(t) + v(t+\Delta t)}{2}[/itex].

That's where your extra term is coming from in the evolution expression. It's not any kind of fundamental change in the equations of motion. It's a numerical analysis trick to improve the accuracy of the estimates.

see I dropped that half as well, always a pleasure to read your comments dick

lanedance said:
see I dropped that half as well, always a pleasure to read your comments dick

Thanks, lanedance. That sort of heuristic argument is how I learned it. But just saying it works out to the first few terms of the taylor series also makes a lot of sense. Never quite thought of it that way though.

Ahhh i remember this now, i think we used the same sort of stuff when I studied the verlet algorithm. As you can tell I was not top of my class, lol. I don't think I can post the original paper but this link tells you most things about the kalman filter:

http://blog.cordiner.net/2011/05/03/object-tracking-using-a-kalman-filter-matlab/

It's not quite verlet, not quite leapfrog. It looks like a bit of ad hockery that only works when your state comprises 2N elements, N of which are zeroth derivatives and the other N of which are first derivatives. It also looks like this is not a stable integration technique.

Then again, basic Euler isn't a stable integration, either. The standard formulation for the Kalman filter just uses basic Euler integration for the prediction step. I've never seen a "real" Kalman filter that doesn't resort to ad hockery somewhere.

1. What is the significance of Newton's equations of motion?

Newton's equations of motion are fundamental laws in classical mechanics that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They allow us to accurately predict the motion of objects and are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems.

2. How did Newton derive his equations of motion?

Newton's equations of motion were derived from his three laws of motion, which state that objects will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. By using these laws, along with his laws of gravitation, Newton was able to develop a mathematical framework for understanding the motion of objects.

3. Can Newton's equations of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, Newton's equations of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear motion, rotational motion, and even the motion of objects in orbit. They are a universal set of laws that govern the behavior of objects in our physical world.

4. Are there any limitations to Newton's equations of motion?

Newton's equations of motion are only applicable to objects moving at relatively low speeds and in the absence of strong gravitational fields. At high speeds, the effects of relativity must be taken into account, and in the presence of extremely strong gravitational fields, such as near a black hole, Einstein's theory of general relativity is needed.

5. How have Newton's equations of motion influenced modern science?

Newton's equations of motion have had a significant impact on modern science, as they have provided the foundation for much of our understanding of the physical world. They have been used to develop technologies such as rockets and satellites, and have been instrumental in the development of modern fields such as astronomy, engineering, and physics.