Interesting science books for young people?

In summary, Some recommended books for getting younger people interested in physics or science in general include "The Disappearing Spoon" by Sam Kean, "Conceptual Physics", "Thinking Physics" by Epstein, and books by Asimov. These books offer fun and engaging ways to learn about various scientific topics, with quizzes, cartoons, and real-world examples.
faraday96
Does anyone know of any books that will get younger people (teens/pre-teens) interested in physics (or science in general)? Maybe something like Feynman's 'Six Easy Pieces'?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is pretty fun

I can't think of any at the moment but I can tell you one thing I found incredibly fascinating as a child were videos of the shuttle launch, fighter jets, and slo-motion videos of explosions; with books explaining how those things worked. Hahaha...

elvishatcher said:
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is pretty fun

I can vouch for the author, although I read Sam Kean's book about genetics. It's definitely interesting, and would appeal to teens/pre-teens.

If you were looking for anything younger than that, I know that during my childhood I loved to read National Geographic books about volcanoes and stuff like that.

Maybe "Conceptual Physics" would be something for you? Look it up!

Try "Thinking Physics" by Epstein.

It consists of many short and easy to understand topics, each with a multiple choice quiz. I think this is a better introduction to physics for young people than reading a thick book from cover to cover - it makes it clear that physics is not a "spectator sport", but is much more fun if you try to solve some problems on your own.

Plus it has some nice cartoons.

Thanks! Also, has anyone read any of Asimov's books? Would these be a good starting place?

What makes a science book interesting for young people?

A science book for young people should have engaging and relatable content, colorful illustrations or photos, and interactive elements such as experiments or quizzes. It should also be written in a clear and easy-to-understand language.

Are there any specific topics that are popular in science books for young people?

Yes, some popular topics in science books for young people include space and astronomy, animals and nature, technology and inventions, and human body and health. However, the most important factor is to choose a topic that the young reader is genuinely interested in.

What age range is typically targeted for science books for young people?

The age range for science books for young people can vary, but they are generally targeted for children between the ages of 8 and 12. However, some books may be suitable for younger or older children depending on the complexity of the content.

Do science books for young people only focus on factual information?

No, science books for young people can also include fictional elements and stories to make the content more interesting and relatable. This can help capture the imagination of young readers and make learning about science more enjoyable.

Can science books for young people be used for educational purposes?

Yes, science books for young people can be used for educational purposes in schools or at home. They can provide a fun and engaging way for children to learn about various scientific topics and concepts. They can also be used as supplemental material to enhance classroom learning.