The von Neumann Measurement Process: Explained and Explored

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea put forward by von Neumann about measurement. This idea states that a system interacts with a pointer state associated with the measuring device through the Hamiltonian H:=c * d(t) * A (X) * P, where d(t) is Dirac's delta, (X) is the tensor product, A is an operator representing what is being measured, and P is a momentum operator acting on the pointer state. The speaker has some understanding of this concept but has been unable to find a detailed explanation online. They mention that von Neumann thought of this idea in 1932 and suggest looking in his book, which can be found at a library. They also mention that von Neumann was a
trosten
Could somebody please explain or give me a link to an explanation of the idea about measerument that von neumann put forward. That is that a system interacts with a pointer state associated with the measurering device with the hamiltonian

H:=c * d(t) * A (X) * P

where d(t) is diracs delta, (X) is the tensor product, A is an operator representing what we measure and P is a momentum operator acting on the pointer state.

I have some understanding of this but I have failed to find a detailed explanation anywhere on the internet, just some notes that von neumann thought of it in 1932. I really would like to see some examples etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did u try to look in his book...?I'm sure u won't find the book on the internet,only at the library.

Daniel.

no I haven't but I assume that its written in german ? von neumann sounds kind of german!

Your right, my local library actually has a new edition of it, published in 96! thanks for the tip.

Johann (then John) von Neumann was a Hungarian-born American professor...

Daniel.

1. What is the Von Neumann architecture?

The Von Neumann architecture, also known as the Von Neumann model, is a computer architecture that describes the design of a computer system with a central processing unit (CPU), memory, input/output devices, and a control unit. This architecture is based on the principle of storing program instructions and data in the same memory, known as the "stored-program concept". It was proposed by mathematician and physicist John von Neumann in the 1940s.

2. What is a pointer in computer science?

In computer science, a pointer is a variable that stores the memory address of another variable or object. Pointers are commonly used in programming languages like C and C++ to enable direct access to memory locations and efficient memory management.

3. What is the state of a pointer?

The state of a pointer refers to the value it currently holds, which is typically the memory address of another variable or object. This value can change during program execution as the pointer is reassigned to different memory locations.

4. How is the pointer state related to the Von Neumann architecture?

In the Von Neumann architecture, the state of a pointer is critical as it allows for the manipulation and movement of data within the memory. This is essential for the efficient execution of instructions and the storage of program data.

5. What are the advantages of using pointers in programming?

Pointers offer several advantages in programming, including efficient memory usage, faster execution times, and the ability to create dynamic data structures. They also allow for direct access to memory locations, making them essential for low-level programming tasks.