Hellp with fourier integral via completing the square

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier integral formula from quantum mechanics, which involves completing the square and integrating over infinite limits. The speaker provides their own solution to the integral and mentions discrepancies with the factor and sign of the exponent. They also mention using a table to find the solution and discussing the importance of a positive constant in the final answer.
mmwave
This comes from quantum mechanics but it's basically a Fourier integral I can't quite do...

F(k) = 1/sqrt(2a*[pi]) * [inte] exp( -(ax^2+ikx) dx over infinite limits. i is sqrt(-1)

to do this, I complete the square getting

exp( -(sqrt(a)*(x +ik/(2a))^2 * exp(k^2 / (4a))

sticking this in the integral and integrating over x I get

F(k) = 1/sqrt(2a*[pi]) * exp(k^2 / 4a )

I like the k^2 / a part but the factor of 4 seems wrong as well as the sign of the exponent possibly.

exp(-a x^2) should transform to exp(k^2/a)?

Help with using completing the square to do this integral would be greatly appreciated.

I used [inte] exp(-y^2) = sqrt([pi]) from a table.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your completion of the square looks wrong. Try completing this square (and testing your answer) as a separate problem... working subproblems seperately tend to make it easier to see what's wrong.

(Incidentally, Mathematica agrees with the factor of 4)

Oh, I also presume that a is supposed to be positive? (It makes a big difference)

Ok,

x^2 + ikx/a = (x + ik/2a)^2 + k^2/4a^2

so my exponential becomes

exp(-a * (k/2a)^2) * exp(-a * (x + ik/2a))

the integral then is exp(-a * (k/2a)^2) * sqrt([pi]/a)

(i'm ignoring the constant in front of the integral for now)

and a is positive constant

the final answer becomes 1/sqrt(2*[pi]) * sqrt([pi]/a) * exp(-k^2/4a)

I like that better, exp(k^2) is not absolutely integralable.

1. What is a Fourier integral?

A Fourier integral is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It is based on the Fourier transform, which converts a function in the time domain into its corresponding representation in the frequency domain.

2. How do you complete the square in a Fourier integral?

To complete the square in a Fourier integral, you first need to factor out the constant term in the expression. Then, you can use the standard formula for completing the square, which involves adding and subtracting a constant term to the expression inside the integral. This will help you simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the purpose of completing the square in a Fourier integral?

Completing the square in a Fourier integral can help you transform a complex integral into an easier one to solve. It can also help you identify the dominant frequencies in the function and make it easier to interpret the results.

4. Can you use completing the square in other types of integrals?

Yes, completing the square can be used in other types of integrals, such as Gaussian integrals. It is a general method for simplifying integrals and can be applied in various mathematical contexts.

5. Are there any limitations to using completing the square in a Fourier integral?

While completing the square can be a useful method for solving Fourier integrals, it may not always be applicable. In some cases, the integral may be too complex to simplify using this method, or it may not produce accurate results. It is important to consider the specific problem and determine if completing the square is the best approach.