An embarrassing problem with elementary mathematics (local time computation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of calculating time differences between different time zones, using examples of Germany and New York and Turkey and London. It explains that Daylight Savings Time and varying UTC offsets can affect the calculations and may cause an overflow of 1 hour. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the correct UTC offsets for New York and London.
ag22
Hello!

I am living in Germany. Let's say that I want to know the local time in New York, and let's arrange that the local time in Germany is 11:00 o'clock (24-hour clock).

Germany's time is shifted 1 hour ahead (UTC +1), and New York's time is shifted 5 hours behind (UTC -5). So the difference is in this case -6 hours.

Here comes the problem: when I subtract 6 from 11, I get 5:00 o'clock as a result. But that's not the case.
The local time in New York is instead 6:00 o'clock.

Now, let's do another example with Turkey and London. Turkey's time is shifted 2 hours ahead (UTC +2), while London's time is not shifted (UTC 0).
Let's assume that the local time in Turkey is currently 12:00 o'clock. If I do the math I get 10:00 o'clock which appears to be correct.

Through both cases I noticed that every time a zero is involved (UTC 0 put on a number line) you get an overflow of 1 - why is that?

Regards,
ag22

Physics news on Phys.org
ag22 said:
Germany's time is shifted 1 hour ahead (UTC +1), and New York's time is shifted 5 hours behind (UTC -5). So the difference is in this case -6 hours.

Here comes the problem: when I subtract 6 from 11, I get 5:00 o'clock as a result. But that's not the case.
The local time in New York is instead 6:00 o'clock.

New York is currently on (Eastern) Daylight Savings Time ("summer time") which is UTC-4.

Most of the rest of the USA also uses Daylight Savings Time, but with varying UTC offsets because of the different time zones.

Early on Sunday morning (4 November) we will "fall back" to standard time (UTC-5 for New York).

Similarly London (and the rest of the uk) has been in british summer time which is UTC+1 for the last 6 months. It went back to UTC+0 last weekend.

I see! My problem was that I simply didn't consider the Daylight Savings Times generally, so I was using the wrong UTC offset of New York (UTC-5 instead of UTC-4).

Therefore it was not really a mathematical issue as I thought before.

Thanks jtbell and Ryan_m_b for helping me to getting a bit wiser!

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries :smile:

1. What is the main issue with local time computation in elementary mathematics?

The main issue with local time computation in elementary mathematics is that it often results in incorrect or inconsistent calculations due to the use of different time zones and daylight saving time adjustments. This can lead to confusion and errors in various fields, such as finance, transportation, and communication.

2. Why is it important to address this problem in elementary mathematics?

It is important to address this problem in elementary mathematics because it forms the foundation of more complex mathematical concepts. If students are not able to accurately compute local time, it can hinder their understanding of advanced concepts and make it difficult for them to apply mathematics in real-world scenarios.

3. How does the issue of local time computation impact everyday life?

The issue of local time computation can impact everyday life in various ways. For example, it can result in missed appointments, delayed flights, and incorrect financial transactions. It can also cause confusion and misunderstandings in global communication and coordination of events.

4. What are some strategies for solving the problem of local time computation in elementary mathematics?

One strategy for solving this problem is to teach students about time zones and how to convert between them. Another approach is to use standardized time, such as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), which eliminates the need for time zone conversions. Additionally, incorporating real-world examples and practice problems can help students develop a better understanding of local time computation.

5. How can this problem be addressed in the education system?

This problem can be addressed in the education system by incorporating it into the curriculum at an early age and providing students with ample opportunities to practice and apply their knowledge. Teachers can also use technology and interactive activities to make the learning experience more engaging and effective. Furthermore, collaboration among educators and experts in the field can help develop better teaching strategies and resources for addressing this issue.