History of Measuring g with a Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a simple pendulum as a method for measuring the gravitational constant, g. It was the best method until about a century ago, with the Cavendish balance and Kater's pendulum being used since then. People are still using a modern version of the Cavendish balance to measure G. The conversation also mentions the difference between G and g and the limitations of using a pendulum, such as ideal modeling and energy loss. The person is grateful for the help in understanding the background and limitations of the pendulum method.
toto93
Hi, I have to write a report on measuring g using a simple pendulum and I wanted to get a bit of the background. I understand that a pendulum was the best way to measure g up until about a century ago but did we use anything before that?
Also what kind of methods have taken over?

I've tried looking up it's history but all I'm getting back are various things about how it's defined or the pendulum method. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.mcm.edu/academic/galileo/ars/arshtml/mathofmotion1.html did it first.

Note in dydxforsn's post the Cavendish balance is use to measure "G", not "g"! Be sure you understand the difference.

Okay thanks. I understand the difference between G and g but it's still been helpful just to get a bit of background knowledge anyway. I think I'm good as far as the history goes now, I'm just getting down to writing about the limitations of a pendulum. Modelling it as ideal, energy lost, that kind of thing. Anyway, thanks for the help!

What is the history behind measuring g with a pendulum?

The idea of using a pendulum to measure gravity (g) was first introduced by Galileo Galilei in the 17th century. He noticed that the swinging motion of a pendulum remained constant regardless of the length of the swing, and hypothesized that this motion was affected by the force of gravity. This led to further experimentation and the development of the pendulum as a tool for measuring g.

How does a pendulum measure g?

A pendulum measures g by using its swinging motion to determine the acceleration due to gravity. The period, or time it takes for one full swing, of a pendulum is directly related to the length of the pendulum and the force of gravity. By measuring the period and knowing the length of the pendulum, the value of g can be calculated.

What are some important discoveries made using the pendulum to measure g?

One of the most significant discoveries made using the pendulum to measure g was the confirmation of the Earth's rotation. In the early 19th century, French physicist Jean-Bernard-Léon Foucault used a pendulum to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth, known as the Foucault pendulum. Additionally, the accurate measurement of g allowed for advancements in the fields of astronomy and navigation.

Has the value of g always been the same when measured with a pendulum?

No, the value of g has not always been constant when measured with a pendulum. In fact, it was initially thought that g was different at different locations on Earth. However, in the 18th century, British scientist Henry Kater developed a reversible pendulum that could measure g with greater accuracy, and it was found that the value of g is relatively constant at different locations on Earth.

Is the pendulum still used to measure g today?

While other methods have been developed for measuring g, the pendulum is still used today in certain experiments and demonstrations. Its simplicity and accuracy make it a valuable tool in understanding the force of gravity and its effects on objects. Additionally, the pendulum has been adapted for use in other fields, such as seismology and timekeeping.