Are the angles of ∏/2 and 3∏/2 coterminal?

• Thread starter EricPowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
If you need some help understanding this I would be more than happy to help but it's something that's really not necessary for you to know at this point.
EricPowell

Homework Statement

Cosx=0. Solve for all angles where 0<x<2∏, and give the general solutions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Angles:
x=∏/2, 3∏/2.

General solutions (what I think they are):
x=∏/2+n2∏
and
x=3∏/x+n2∏
where n is an integer.

General solutions (what the textbook answer key says they are):
x=∏/2+n∏
where n is an integer

Aren't general solutions supposed to give angles that are all coterminal with any integer value of n? If I use n=0, I get ∏/2. And if I use n=1, then I get 3∏/2. I understand that those are both quadrantal angles that lie on the y axis, but they aren't coterminal with one another...are they?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EricPowell said:
If I use n=0, I get ∏/2. And if I use n=2, then I get 3∏/2.

No, if you use n=2 you have [itex]x=\pi/2+2\pi=5\pi/2[/itex]. You would get the solution [itex]x=3\pi/2[/itex] if you used n=1.

And no, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] are not coterminal angles. A coterminal angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] is any angle that satisfies [itex]x=\theta+2n\pi[/itex] where n is an integer, and [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] does not satisfy this relationship if we let [itex]\theta=\pi/2[/itex].

Keep in mind that two different angles (not coterminal angles) can have the same sine value.

EricPowell said:

Homework Statement

Cosx=0. Solve for all angles where 0<x<2∏, and give the general solutions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Angles:
x=∏/2, 3∏/2.

General solutions (what I think they are):
x=∏/2+n2∏
and
x=3∏/x+n2∏
where n is an integer.

General solutions (what the textbook answer key says they are):
x=∏/2+n∏
where n is an integer

Aren't general solutions supposed to give angles that are all coterminal with any integer value of n? If I use n=0, I get ∏/2. And if I use n=2, then I get 3∏/2.
I don't see how. If n = 2, the textbook answer would be x = ##\pi/2 + 2\pi## = ##5\pi/2##, not ##3\pi/2##.
EricPowell said:
I understand that those are both quadrantal angles that lie on the y axis, but they aren't coterminal with one another...are they?
By "those angles" are you referring to ##\pi/2## and ##3\pi/2##? If so, they are not coterminal.

Do you not see that your two answers are the same as the book's single answer?

Mentallic said:
No, if you use n=2 you have [itex]x=\pi/2+2\pi=5\pi/2[/itex]. You would get the solution [itex]x=3\pi/2[/itex] if you used n=1.

And no, [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] are not coterminal angles. A coterminal angle of [itex]\theta[/itex] is any angle that satisfies [itex]x=\theta+2n\pi[/itex] where n is an integer, and [itex]3\pi/2[/itex] does not satisfy this relationship if we let [itex]\theta=\pi/2[/itex].

Keep in mind that two different angles (not coterminal angles) can have the same sine value.

Whoops I meant to press the 1 key when I tried to type n=1.

Okay so it seems that I have misunderstood the purpose of general solutions. I thought this whole time that they were meant for producing angles of x that were all coterminal with each other (except for tangent ratios where they only have to be ∏ radians apart) for any integer value of n, but when you reminded me of not co-terminal angles having the same trigonometric ratios, I realized that the textbook's solution of x=∏/2+n∏ will give angles with the same ratios, even though they will not all be coterminal for any integer value of n. My textbook never defined what a general solution was and I made an assumption.

Thank you.:smile:

EricPowell said:
Whoops I meant to press the 1 key when I tried to type n=1.

Okay so it seems that I have misunderstood the purpose of general solutions. I thought this whole time that they were meant for producing angles of x that were all coterminal with each other (except for tangent ratios where they only have to be ∏ radians apart) for any integer value of n, but when you reminded me of not co-terminal angles having the same trigonometric ratios, I realized that the textbook's solution of x=∏/2+n∏ will give angles with the same ratios, even though they will not all be coterminal for any integer value of n. My textbook never defined what a general solution was and I made an assumption.

Thank you.:smile:

Yep, that's exactly right. While general solutions can give all coterminal angles, simply because you can tack on [itex]+2n\pi[/itex] at the end, they can do a whole lot more than that. General solutions can be as simple as describing coterminal angles, or as complicated as expressing 10 different angles, and all their coterminal angles into one formula.

The only reason the solution to this problem is so simple ([itex]x=\pi/2+n\pi[/itex]) is because you were asked to solve for cos(x)=0 and because of how the cosine wave works, its wavelength is [itex]2\pi[/itex] while it crosses the x-axis or y=0 every [itex]\pi[/itex] units.

If you were instead asked to solve, say, [itex]\cos(x)=1/2[/itex] then the general solution isn't as simple. For [itex]0\leq x<2\pi[/itex] we have [itex]x=\pi/3, 5\pi/3[/itex]

And so the coterminal angles would be defined by
[itex]x=\pi/3+2n\pi[/itex]
[itex]x=5\pi/3+2n\pi[/itex]
as you know, but the general solution which is one formula that provides all solutions to the equation would be

[tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}(2n-1)+(-1)^n\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

Try it for yourself to see that it works.
Oh and I doubt you need to learn how to construct these more complicated general formulae for a while, so don't stress about it. But if you are curious as to how I did it, take a quadrant and label the principle angles [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]5\pi/3[/itex] on the circle, now consider this unsimplified formula which is equivalent to the one above:

[tex]x=n\pi-\frac{\pi}{2}+(-1)^n\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{\pi}{3}\right)[/tex]

Start at n=1, see how it gives us [itex]x=\pi/3[/itex], then go to n=2 etc.

1. What does it mean for two angles to be coterminal?

Two angles are coterminal if they have the same initial and terminal sides, meaning they end at the same point on the unit circle. This also means that they have the same reference angle.

2. How do you determine if two angles are coterminal?

To determine if two angles are coterminal, you can add or subtract multiples of 2π (or 360 degrees) to one of the angles until it is in the same position as the other angle on the unit circle.

3. Are the angles ∏/2 and 3∏/2 coterminal?

Yes, they are coterminal because when you add 2π to ∏/2, you get 3∏/2. This means they have the same terminal side and reference angle of ∏/2.

4. What is the difference between coterminal angles and reference angles?

Coterminal angles refer to two angles that have the same terminal side and reference angle, while reference angles are the acute angles formed by the terminal side of an angle and the x-axis. Reference angles are always positive and range from 0 to π/2 (or 0 to 90 degrees).

5. Can you have more than two coterminal angles?

Yes, you can have infinite coterminal angles for a given angle. This is because you can continuously add or subtract multiples of 2π to an angle and still have it end at the same point on the unit circle. However, typically we only consider the smallest positive angle and its corresponding negative angle as the two coterminal angles.