Is the speed of light constant in a vacuum?

In summary, space is not a perfect vacuum and does contain low density particles, plasma, and electromagnetic fields. The correct term for this is 'hard vacuum'. These elements do interact with light, but the effect is negligible and only observable in very precise experiments. Virtual particles do exist in space and do interact with light, but the effect is very weak and only observable in particle colliders.
Thomas1989
Hello everyone!

Just something I was thinking about today that I haven't been able to shake. I recently read that space is not actually a perfect vacuum, but that it contains low density particles, plasma, electromagnetic fields and so on. Is 'hard vacuum' the correct definition, or is it okay just to use vacuum?

I'd like to know why these low density particles, fields, and plasma don't interact with the light or slow it down in any way (or do they?) While I'm on the subject of particles, do virtual particles exist in space, and do they interact with light?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thomas1989 said:
Hello everyone!

Just something I was thinking about today that I haven't been able to shake. I recently read that space is not actually a perfect vacuum, but that it contains low density particles, plasma, electromagnetic fields and so on. Is 'hard vacuum' the correct definition, or is it okay just to use vacuum?

The vacuum, as defined, contains no particles or plasma. Electromagnetic fields are classically unimportant, since Maxwell's theory is linear and one electromagnetic field does not affect the propagation of another.

It's true that even the space between galaxies/clusters/etc. is filled with an extremely tenuous gas. However, the density in these regions is so low that the effect on the propagation of light is (mostly) negligible.
I'd like to know why these low density particles, fields, and plasma don't interact with the light or slow it down in any way (or do they?) While I'm on the subject of particles, do virtual particles exist in space, and do they interact with light?

Thanks!

Virtual particles do interact with light. In particular, they destroy the linearity of magnetic fields and mean that light does interact with other light, albeit very weekly. This effect, however, is much too small to be seen in astrophysical experiments and can only be seen in very precise particle colliders.

1. Is the speed of light really constant in a vacuum?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and does not change. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How was it determined that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum?

One of the key experiments that demonstrated the constant speed of light was the Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887. This experiment showed that the speed of light was the same in all directions, regardless of the motion of the Earth.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Does the speed of light change in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of light can change in different mediums, such as air or water. This is because light can interact with the molecules in these mediums, causing it to slow down. However, in a vacuum, the speed of light remains constant.

5. Why is the speed of light considered a fundamental constant?

The speed of light is considered a fundamental constant because it is a universal constant that is the same for all observers. It is also a key component of many fundamental theories in physics, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.