Static Universe vs Expanding Universe

In summary, the static universe theory is based off of Einstein's earlier work involving the addition of a gravitational constant to his equations. However, this was later found to be incorrect. Hubble and others discovered that the universe was expanding, and that this was due to the relationship between redshifts and distance.
Grove1996
Hey

I'm 16 and currently studying my last year of physics in high school. I have to write an extended research task on a topic relating directly or indirectly to astrophysics. I have chosen to do the static universe theory vs the expanding universe theory. I've been researching as of late and have thought of a few major points to discuss. Basically throughout the essay I am to talk about both the theories, and show why and how the universe is expanding. Here are the topics I want to discuss:

-The static universe theory and the physics behind it
-Mentioning how einstein added a gravitational constant to all his equations, however this was wrong
-Translate into the importance of edwin Hubble and a few others who discovered the universe was expanding (the relationship between redshifts and distance)
-Talk about Hubbles law and the dopler effect

I would like to have at least one more topic to discuss. Is there something major that I'm missing in there. I'm only 16 so excuse my lack of knowledge regarding the subject. Any help would be much appreciated. I don't expect anyone to post up information for me to use, but if you could just list a topic I can research it on my own.

Regards,
Grove1996

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well I don't know how much math you know personally but try to put some details in on the instability of the static universe.

If your looking for another topic of the same time era that will show the view points of cosmology of that same era I would suggest the great debate

http://apod.nasa.gov/diamond_jubilee/1920/cs_nrc.html

http://apod.nasa.gov/diamond_jubilee/1920/cs_real.html

http://apod.nasa.gov/diamond_jubilee/debate20.html

the third link is the site itself the second link is The great debate what really happened.

One of the items they were adressing concerned galaxies which at the time were considered Nebulae. You will also notice that their measurements were extremely off the mark.

This site should provide lots of insight into the 20's

Stanford University / Lenard Susskind have an outstanding series of cosmology lectures on youtube. This may well turn out to be your #1 resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it a lot. I'll have a look at all the videos :)

One more example of historical evidence, written by Hubble himself, from the above mentioned series: http://apod.nasa.gov/diamond_jubilee/d_1996/hub_1929.html

Just as a historical note: Hubble and Humason did NOT say that red-shifted “nebulae” were receding from us. See this quotation:
“Mr. Humason and I are both deeply sensible of your gracious appreciation of the papers on velocities and distances of nebulae. We use the term ‘apparent’ velocities to emphasize the empirical features of the correlation. The interpretation, we feel, should be left to you and the very few others who are competent to discuss the matter with authority.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hubble

1. What is the difference between a static universe and an expanding universe?

A static universe is one in which the size and density of the universe remains constant over time, while an expanding universe is one in which the distance between galaxies is increasing over time.

2. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

The expansion of the universe was first discovered by astronomer Edwin Hubble in the 1920s through his observations of the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This redshift indicates that galaxies are moving away from each other, providing evidence for an expanding universe.

3. What is the main evidence for a static universe?

The main evidence for a static universe comes from the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on a large scale. This principle suggests that the universe should remain the same over time, leading to the idea of a static universe.

4. Is the static universe theory still considered a valid explanation for the universe?

No, the static universe theory has been largely replaced by the expanding universe theory, which is supported by a wealth of observational evidence. However, some modified versions of the static universe theory, such as the steady-state theory, still exist but are not widely accepted.

5. Can the expanding universe eventually lead to a static universe?

It is currently unknown whether the expansion of the universe will eventually slow down and lead to a static universe. The fate of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists, and more data and observations are needed to make a definitive conclusion.