Forces gears cause to the shaft (spur gears) - force diagram

In summary, a force diagram is a helpful tool when analyzing forces on shafts with spur gears. The number of teeth on a gear can affect the forces it exerts on the shaft, with more teeth resulting in higher forces. Additionally, the type of gear, such as helical or bevel, can also impact the forces on the shaft. However, a force diagram alone cannot determine the efficiency of a gear system, as other factors like friction and wear also play a role. To reduce forces on the shaft, using gears with fewer teeth, proper lubrication, and alignment can be beneficial.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/vn0x.jpg/

Describe the forces acting on the shaft AB

Homework Equations

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/p860.jpg/

The Attempt at a Solution

I've ignored the bearings for now... but I know each of them has 2 forces, 1 in the radial direction and the other in the tangential direction ... Anyway, this is my diagram (sans bearing forces)

I assumed shaft AB rotates clockwise

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/af6k.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Fp!

Looks good!
I'd add the forces in the bearings A and B as well though.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a force diagram when analyzing forces on shafts with spur gears?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on a system. In the case of spur gears, a force diagram can help to identify the forces that the gears exert on the shaft, which is crucial for determining their impact on the overall system.

2. How does the number of teeth on a gear affect the forces it exerts on the shaft?

The number of teeth on a gear can affect the forces it exerts on the shaft in two ways. First, a gear with more teeth will have a larger contact area with the shaft, resulting in a higher force being transmitted. Second, the angle of the gear's teeth can also impact the force, with larger angles producing greater forces.

3. Are the forces on the shaft different for different types of gears, such as helical or bevel gears?

Yes, the forces on the shaft will vary depending on the type of gear. For example, helical gears have angled teeth that create a thrust force along the axis of the shaft, while bevel gears have teeth that create both a radial and tangential force on the shaft.

4. Can we use a force diagram to determine the efficiency of a gear system?

No, a force diagram alone cannot determine the efficiency of a gear system. Other factors, such as friction and wear, also play a role in the overall efficiency of a gear system.

5. How can we reduce the forces exerted on the shaft by spur gears?

One way to reduce the forces on the shaft is to use gears with fewer teeth. This reduces the contact area and angle of the teeth, resulting in lower forces being transmitted. Lubrication and proper alignment of the gears can also help to reduce forces and improve the overall performance of the gear system.