Is This Earth From Space Documentary Worth Watching?

In summary, this documentary is about the global circulation patterns and the 'earth system'. It is very good and has great imagery.
edward
I original posted this in GD. It may be more appreciated here. It is a lot more than just pictures.

It is long so get a drink and a some snacks before starting to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I thought I saw Luke Sywalker on his camel-thing in the beginning and a scene of a sand storm from Scorpian King. Two movies in one! Popcorn here we go. :biggrin:

Nova usually is quite good. Thanks.

256bits said:
I thought I saw Luke Sywalker on his camel-thing in the beginning and a scene of a sand storm from Scorpian King. Two movies in one! Popcorn here we go. :biggrin:

Nova usually is quite good. Thanks.

It is one of the best Nova science documentaries I have seen. For starters:

Satellite data is transformed into visual sequences that detail the interwoven forces that sustain life on Earth. Included: how dust from the Sahara fertilizes the Amazon; how a vast underwater "waterfall" off Antarctica helps drive ocean currents.

Hi edward

just finished watching that doco ... very good :)

thanks for sharing the link

and here's another good one from the Nova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKKzsRjJ_Y

a doco on the Earths magnetic field

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave

I was surprised to see that this documentry was in part funded by the David H. Koch foundation. Wonder if he knows that his money is being used to fund programs that support anthropogenic global warming.

Apart from that, very enjoyable.

JesseC said:
I was surprised to see that this documentry was in part funded by the David H. Koch foundation. Wonder if he knows that his money is being used to fund programs that support anthropogenic global warming.

Apart from that, very enjoyable.

"Earth From Space" was not really about global warming not to mention AGW. Warming and it's effects were briefly mentioned. So was cooling. Koch funds a lot of PBS science programs.

I didn't say it was about AGW, I said it supported it. If you watch from 1hr 46min to 1hr 52min it does support AGW explicitly. But this is all beside the point, great imagery and generally very good explanations for the global circulation patterns and explanations of the 'earth system'.

JesseC said:
I didn't say it was about AGW, I said it supported it. If you watch from 1hr 46min to 1hr 52min it does support AGW explicitly. But this is all beside the point, great imagery and generally very good explanations for the global circulation patterns and explanations of the 'earth system'.

I can agree with that.:approve:

1. What is the purpose of the "Earth From Space" documentary?

The purpose of the "Earth From Space" documentary is to explore and showcase the incredible views and data that can be collected from space about our planet. It aims to educate and raise awareness about the Earth's diverse landscapes, weather patterns, and the impact of human activity on the planet.

2. How was the footage for the documentary obtained?

The footage for the "Earth From Space" documentary was obtained through various methods, including satellite imagery, aerial photography, and footage from astronauts aboard the International Space Station. Scientists and researchers also provided data and insights to enhance the visual experience.

3. What can viewers expect to learn from the documentary?

Viewers can expect to learn about the Earth's natural wonders, such as oceans, mountains, and forests, as well as man-made structures and their impact on the environment. The documentary also delves into the effects of climate change and how it is affecting our planet.

4. Is the documentary scientifically accurate?

Yes, the "Earth From Space" documentary is scientifically accurate. The footage and data used in the documentary were gathered and analyzed by experts in the field of Earth science and remote sensing. The documentary also includes interviews with scientists and researchers to provide further insights and explanations.

5. What makes this documentary unique compared to others about the Earth?

This documentary stands out from others about the Earth because of its use of cutting-edge technology and data to provide a comprehensive and visually stunning perspective of our planet. It also focuses on the interconnectedness of the Earth's systems and how they are all affected by human activity. Moreover, it highlights the beauty and fragility of our planet, making it a thought-provoking and impactful viewing experience.