Process dynamics modelling for heated tank, differential equations

In summary: This can be represented in the differential equation as ρ*cp*vdT/dt = k(Ts-T) + m*cp*(T-Ti).In summary, the conversation is discussing a tank with an incoming feed stream and an output stream, with a jacket that modifies the heat flux (q) to control the output stream temperature (T). The person is having trouble assembling the differential equation for q and is seeking help on how to control q to minimize deviations from the desired set point temperature (Ts). The solution suggested is to use a proportional controller, represented in the differential equation as ρ*cp*vdT/dt = k(Ts-T) + m*cp*(T-Ti).
maistral
I can't seem to model this properly. This isn't an assignment, I'm just curious how this will go, lol.
So I have this tank with an incoming feed stream with temperature Ti, and an output stream T. It has a jacket where q would be modified depending on the desired output stream T.

So I assembled this:

ρ*cp*vdT/dt = q + m*cp*(T-Ti)

I can't seem to assemble the differential equation required for q.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
maistral said:
I can't seem to model this properly. This isn't an assignment, I'm just curious how this will go, lol.
So I have this tank with an incoming feed stream with temperature Ti, and an output stream T. It has a jacket where q would be modified depending on the desired output stream T.

So I assembled this:

I can't seem to assemble the differential equation required for q.

Thanks!

Hey maistral. Let me understand what you are trying to do. You are looking as a well-mixed CST. The inlet temperature may be a function of time, and you are trying to control the outlet temperature. You measure the outlet temperature as a function of time, and compare it to the desired set point. The question is, based on these measurements, what strategy do you use to control q to minimize the deviation from the desired set point. Correct?

Chet

Yes. That's what I'm after, and I can't seem to set the differential equations for it :|

maistral said:
Yes. That's what I'm after, and I can't seem to set the differential equations for it :|

You already have the differential equation. The only thing you are missing is how the heat flux is controlled to try to maintain the set point. For example, if it is a proportional controller, then q = k(Ts-T), where k is a constant of proportionality and Ts is the set point temperature.

I understand your frustration with trying to model this heated tank system. It is a complex process with many variables and it can be challenging to accurately represent it in a mathematical model. However, with careful consideration and analysis, it is possible to develop a differential equation that accurately describes the behavior of the system.

One approach to modeling this type of system is to use the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first law which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms. In this case, the energy is being transferred through heating and cooling processes.

To develop a differential equation for the heating process, we can use the following equation:

q = U*A*(Tj - T)

Where q is the heat transfer rate, U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area of the jacket, Tj is the temperature of the jacket, and T is the temperature of the tank. This equation takes into account the heat transfer rate through the jacket, which is dependent on the temperature difference between the jacket and the tank.

Next, we can combine this equation with the energy balance equation you have already assembled:

By substituting the value of q from the first equation into the second equation, we can develop a differential equation that includes the heating process:

ρ*cp*vdT/dt = U*A*(Tj - T) + m*cp*(T-Ti)

From here, we can continue to refine and modify the equation to accurately represent the behavior of the system. This may involve incorporating additional variables or terms, depending on the specific details and complexities of the system.

In conclusion, while it may be challenging to model the heated tank system accurately, with careful consideration and application of thermodynamic principles, it is possible to develop a differential equation that can effectively describe the dynamics of the system. I hope this helps you in your modeling process. Good luck!

1. What is process dynamics modelling for heated tank?

Process dynamics modelling for heated tank is a mathematical approach used to study the behavior and dynamics of a heated tank system. This involves creating a mathematical model using differential equations to represent the physical processes occurring within the tank, such as heat transfer and fluid flow.

2. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, taking into account its rate of change. In the context of process dynamics modelling for heated tanks, these equations are used to represent how the temperature and other variables within the tank change over time.

3. How is process dynamics modelling for heated tank used in industry?

Process dynamics modelling for heated tank is commonly used in various industries, such as chemical and food processing, to optimize and improve the design and control of heated tank systems. This helps to ensure efficient and safe operation of the system, as well as reduce costs and improve product quality.

4. What are the benefits of using process dynamics modelling for heated tank?

Process dynamics modelling for heated tank allows for a deeper understanding of how a heated tank system operates and how different parameters affect its behavior. This can help in making informed decisions for system design, control strategies, and troubleshooting. It also allows for virtual experimentation and optimization, reducing the need for costly and time-consuming physical testing.

5. What are the challenges of process dynamics modelling for heated tank?

Process dynamics modelling for heated tank can be challenging due to the complexity of the physical processes involved, as well as the need for accurate and detailed data to create the model. It also requires a good understanding of differential equations and mathematical modelling techniques. Additionally, the model may not always accurately represent the real system due to simplifications and assumptions made during the modelling process.