Coil Design: 24V DC 200W | Technical Assistance

• Thread starter kranth90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil
In summary, the conversation is about designing a coil for use in 33kV VCBs with a 24V DC supply and a maximum wattage of 200W. The speaker is seeking assistance in determining the coil gauge, number of turns, and the coil's inner and outer diameters. The other participant inquires about the coil's application, desired inductance, and acceptable series resistance. The speaker clarifies that the coil will be used as a tripping coil and mentions a series resistance of 2.9 ohms, while also stating that the coil's inductance is not a major factor due to the DC supply.
kranth90
I need a technical assistance in designing of a coil which will work on 24V DC supply with a maximum wattage of 200W suggest me the coil guage, no of turns and the coil ID & OD.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kranth90 said:
I need a technical assistance in designing of a coil which will work on 24V DC supply with a maximum wattage of 200W suggest me the coil guage, no of turns and the coil ID & OD.

Welcome to the PF.

What is the application for the coil? What inductance do you want? What series resistance can you tolerate in the circuit?

A coil is not rated by power (and especially not at 200W!). A coil is rated by its inductance, DC resistance, and its saturation current (if it is wound on a ferrous metal or ferrite).

I want to use it in 33kV VCB's as Tripping coil...
and here I'm giving the DC supply to the coil so there is no matter of inductance I think..
and the series resistance can be 2.9ohms..

1. What is the purpose of a 24V DC 200W coil design?

A 24V DC 200W coil design is used to convert electrical energy into magnetic energy, and vice versa. It is commonly used in various devices such as motors, solenoids, and relays.

2. How does the 24V DC 200W coil design work?

The coil design works by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a core, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other components to produce motion or generate an electric current.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a 24V DC 200W coil?

When designing a 24V DC 200W coil, factors such as the desired strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the type of core material used should be taken into consideration. Other factors may include the desired coil shape, size, and cooling requirements.

4. Can a 24V DC 200W coil design be customized for specific applications?

Yes, a 24V DC 200W coil design can be customized to meet the specific requirements of different applications. This can include adjusting the number of turns, using different core materials, and incorporating cooling features to optimize performance.

5. What technical assistance is available for designing a 24V DC 200W coil?

Many manufacturers and suppliers offer technical assistance for designing a 24V DC 200W coil. This can include consultation services, design software, and support for troubleshooting and optimizing coil performance. It is recommended to seek assistance from experienced professionals to ensure the best results.