Torque input of synchronous machine

In summary, Grainger provides an explanation of how a prime mover can create an equal and opposite electrical torque when the machine rotates at synchronous speed. This is odd, as an equal and opposite counter torque would apparently stall the machine. However, Grainger explains that this equilibrium exists due to the direct connection of the generator to the power grid, and that there is a limit to everything.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
I am reading from grainger about transient stability.

I know this will be a amateur question, but...

It says that when a prime mover is turning a synchronous machine, there is a equal and opposite counter torque (electrical counter torque) when the machine rotates at synchronous speed.

This is odd to me, as I would expect an equal and opposite counter torque to stall the machine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
FOIWATER said:
It says that when a prime mover is turning a synchronous machine, there is a equal and opposite counter torque (electrical counter torque) when the machine rotates at synchronous speed.

This is odd to me, as I would expect an equal and opposite counter torque to stall the machine.
I think he is just stating the obvious. That, under stable operation, an equilibrium exists where the applied torque is exactly countered by an equal and opposite electrical torque. (If this weren't so, then the rotor would tend to accelerate or decelerate, until an equilibrium becomes established.)

If the driving torque changes to a new level, then a new equilibrium point must be established such that the new electrical torque exactly counters the new driving torque. (If this new equilibrium can't be established within certain parameters, then, yes, it will fall out of sync.)

It should be clearer if you think of the generator as being "directly" connected into the power network, alongside many others, so that the prime mover torque alone determines whether this machine is generating or motoring.

stall? Thought experiment :: as N O said, equal and opposite means there's none left over to accelerate or decelerate the machine's rotating mass.
So ω stays constant , presumably at ωsynchronous

got it thanks guys.

This was what I assumed of course, a torque difference tends to change accln to a new steady state speed, but I was having trouble trying to understand that for some reason.

FOIWATER said:
This was what I assumed of course, a torque difference tends to change accln to a new steady state speed, but I was having trouble trying to understand that for some reason.
Well, it won't change to a new speed because its speed is fixed by the frequency of the grid it is directly connected into. What can change is its angle of operation, relative to the rotating field, and as this changes so does its developed torque (it obviously draws more current in doing so). The angle can only slip back so far, though, otherwise it will fall out of sync. There is a limit to everything. :smile:

Yeah I was referring to torque difference in general. What you are saying makes sense, the reason I asked the question is because I am writing a program that simulates synch. generator swing angles for large disturbances. We are finding critical breaker trip times to limit loss of synch. I have written and tested the program vs IEEE standard buses (14,30) and AEP standards (57,118) and it's working. There was just some issues with the torque that I was wanting to understand better.

Thanks

1. What is torque input of a synchronous machine?

The torque input of a synchronous machine refers to the mechanical power supplied to the machine, which is converted into electrical power. It is the force that causes the rotor to rotate and produce electricity.

2. How is torque input calculated for a synchronous machine?

The torque input can be calculated by multiplying the armature current by the electrical load angle. It is also affected by the magnetic field strength and the number of poles in the machine.

3. What factors affect the torque input of a synchronous machine?

The torque input of a synchronous machine is affected by the electrical load angle, armature current, magnetic field strength, and number of poles. Other factors such as temperature and mechanical losses can also impact the torque input.

4. How does the torque input affect the performance of a synchronous machine?

The torque input is directly related to the output power and efficiency of a synchronous machine. A higher torque input results in a higher output power, while a lower torque input will decrease the machine's efficiency.

5. Can the torque input of a synchronous machine be controlled?

Yes, the torque input of a synchronous machine can be controlled by adjusting the field current, which changes the magnetic field strength. This can be done manually or through automatic control systems, allowing for precise control of the machine's output power.