Steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization

In summary, when using a spectral method to solve the steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, there is no need for decoupling and it is recommended to use a lower order approximation for the pressure compared to the velocity.
Zoli
Hi,
I would like to solve the steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes equations by a spectral method. When I saw the classic primitive-variable finite element discretization of the time-dependent incompressible N-S, it turned out that the coefficient matrix of the derivatives of the unknowns makes the problem. However, if I solve the time-independent version of N-S, I do not have to bother with decoupling, etc, am I right?
My second question: do I have to use lower order approximation for the pressure than for the velocity if I regard the steady-state version?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right. The time-independent version of the Navier-Stokes equations does not require decoupling or any other additional steps, as the coefficients of the derivatives of the unknowns are all known. In terms of the order of approximation for the pressure and velocity, it is generally recommended to use a lower order approximation for the pressure than for the velocity when solving the steady-state version of the Navier-Stokes equations. This is done in order to reduce numerical errors that can arise from the effects of convection and diffusion.

What is the definition of steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization?

Steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization is a mathematical method used to solve the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluid. In this method, the equations are discretized, meaning they are divided into smaller components, and then solved iteratively until a steady-state solution is reached. This method is commonly used in computational fluid dynamics to simulate the behavior of fluids.

What are the assumptions made in steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization?

The main assumptions made in steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization are that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density is constant, and that the flow is steady, meaning it does not change over time. Additionally, it is assumed that the fluid has constant viscosity and that the flow is laminar, meaning there is no turbulence.

What is the difference between steady-state and transient incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization?

The main difference between steady-state and transient incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization is the time aspect. Steady-state discretization assumes that the flow is constant, while transient discretization takes into account the changes in flow over time. Transient discretization is more computationally demanding but can provide more accurate results for time-dependent flows.

What are the main challenges in implementing steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization?

One of the main challenges in implementing steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization is dealing with the non-linearity of the equations. This requires the use of iterative methods to solve the equations, which can be time-consuming and computationally intensive. Additionally, boundary conditions and mesh quality can also impact the accuracy and stability of the solution.

What are the applications of steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization?

Steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes discretization has many applications in engineering and science, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and weather forecasting. It is also used in the design and analysis of various fluid systems, such as pumps, turbines, and pipelines. This method is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various real-world scenarios.