Why Does Carbonated Soda Burn Our Nostrils?

• Thread starter Paul Wilson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the burning sensation that occurs when drinking carbonated soda and then burping through the nose. The possible cause of this is thought to be the acidity of the soda, specifically the citrus acid, which reacts with the stomach's HCL acid and turns into gas when released through burping. This concentrated gas and other ingredients in the soda may contribute to the burning sensation. There is also a mention of a theory that the stomach "turns" the acid into gas to neutralize it, but this is not confirmed.
Paul Wilson
Yea. This is probably the most idiotic question ever asked here. But hey, you don't find out unless you ask out.

You know when you drink carbonated soda, then burp down your nose, it really really burns?

How come this happens?

I thought it over, and it couldn't really be the CO2 as when you exhale, you exhale CO2 and it doesn't burn your nostrels.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Most sodas contain citrus acid, I suspect this maybe the cause of the burning nose fizz.

I was thinking that and came up with a theory.

Soda (let's use coke as an example) is an acid. When the acid hits the neutralized HCL acid in your stomach, it de-neutralizes it. So in order to get rid of the acid, the stomach some what 'turns' it into a gas, releasing it. With the HCL and acidic vapours and such, when you burp down your nose, the vapour sharply burns the nostrel.

Probably wrong, but it's sort of plausable.

Paul Wilson said:
I thought it over, and it couldn't really be the CO2 as when you exhale, you exhale CO2 and it doesn't burn your nostrels.

The gas when you burp is concentrated, not to mention other ingredients in the mix. But I'm only guessing.

And that would be "up your nose". :wink:

1. Why does carbonated soda cause a burning sensation in our nostrils?

Carbonated soda contains carbon dioxide gas, which is released as bubbles when the drink is opened. When we drink soda, some of the gas is released in our mouths and travels up our nasal passages, causing a burning sensation.

2. Is the burning sensation in our nostrils harmful?

No, the burning sensation caused by carbonated soda is not harmful. It is a natural reaction to the carbon dioxide gas in the drink and does not cause any long-term damage.

3. Why do some people experience a stronger burning sensation than others?

This can vary from person to person depending on the sensitivity of their nasal passages and the amount of carbon dioxide gas released in the drink. People who are more sensitive to the gas or have narrower nasal passages may experience a stronger burning sensation.

4. Does the type of soda affect the burning sensation?

Yes, the type of soda can affect the burning sensation. Darker and more acidic sodas, such as colas, tend to have a stronger burning sensation compared to lighter and less acidic sodas, such as lemon-lime or ginger ale.

5. Is there a way to reduce the burning sensation caused by carbonated soda?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the burning sensation. You can try drinking the soda slowly, using a straw to bypass the nasal passages, or adding ice to the drink to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide gas. However, the burning sensation is a natural reaction and is not harmful, so it is not necessary to try and reduce it.