MinimalPolynomial.pdfHow Can I Find the Minimal Polynomial for a Given Matrix A?

In summary, the minimal polynomial of a matrix A is the monic polynomial p such that p(A) = 0 and it has the least degree among all such polynomials. It is important to note that the minimal polynomial and characteristic polynomial have the same roots, but may have different multiplicities. In an algebraically closed field like C, finding the minimal polynomial can be done by factoring the characteristic polynomial and choosing the smallest power of each root that makes the nullity of (A - root*I) equal to the multiplicity of that root in the characteristic polynomial. If the field is not algebraically closed, the minimal polynomial may not have all the factors of the characteristic polynomial. A detailed explanation of minimal
Chen
Given a matrix A how can I found its minimal polynomial? I know how to find its characteristic polynomial, but how do I reduce it to minimal?

Thanks,
Chen

Physics news on Phys.org
Chen said:
Given a matrix A how can I found its minimal polynomial? I know how to find its characteristic polynomial, but how do I reduce it to minimal?
Thanks,
Chen
If A is a matrix and for every polynomial q such that q(A)=0 p|q for some monic polynomial p, then p is the minimal of A.
In other words the minimal polynomial has enough "stuff" to kill every vector, but does not have any extra "stuff". If The field you are working in is algebraically closed (every polynomial has a root) as is the case with C the field of complex numbers things are relatively simple.
The characteristic polynomial can be factored (at least in principle).
The characteristic and minimal polynomials have the same roots but the roots may have different multiplicities. The minimal polynomial can be constucted from the charateristic polynomial as follows. Take a root, if its multiplicity in the charateristic polynomial is n then its multiplicity in the minimal polynomial is the smallest k such that nullity((A-root*I)^k)=n. An example might help
say for some matrix A the characteristic polynomial is ((x-1)^4)((x-2)^3)((x-3)^2)
if nullity((A-1*I)^2)=4 and nullity((A-1*I)^1)<4 (x-1) will have order 2
if nullity((A-2*I)^1)=3 and nullity((A-1*I)^0)<1 (x-2) will have order 1
if nullity((A-1*I)^2)=2 and nullity((A-1*I)^1)<2 (x-3) will have order 2
Then the minimum polynomial is ((x-1)^2)((x-2)^1)((x-3)^2)
In short the charateristic polynomial with kill all vectors, the minimal polynomial also kills all vectors but it may lack some factors of the characteristic polynomial that are not need for killing vectors. If you are not working in an algenraically complete field factors may not exist in which case you keep the irreducible factors.

a theoretical discussion of minimal polynomials, and much more, is in the 15 page book on the website

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/

What is a matrix minimal polynomial?

A matrix minimal polynomial is a polynomial of least degree that has the given matrix as a root. It is the unique monic polynomial of least degree that annihilates the given matrix.

How is the matrix minimal polynomial calculated?

The matrix minimal polynomial can be calculated by finding the characteristic polynomial of the given matrix, and then factoring out all the repeated roots. The resulting polynomial will be the minimal polynomial.

Why is the matrix minimal polynomial important?

The matrix minimal polynomial is important because it provides a way to understand the behavior and properties of a matrix. It can also be used to determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important in many applications.

Can a matrix have multiple minimal polynomials?

No, a matrix can only have one minimal polynomial. This is because the minimal polynomial is unique and is defined as the polynomial of least degree that has the given matrix as a root.

How does the minimal polynomial relate to the characteristic polynomial?

The minimal polynomial and the characteristic polynomial are related in that the minimal polynomial always divides the characteristic polynomial. This means that the characteristic polynomial can be factored into a product of minimal polynomials.