A question of roots of riemann function

In summary, the conversation is discussing the quotient of the Riemann function at a root x=c and the question of whether this limit is equal to exp(ik) with k being any real constant. The answer is that it depends on the value of c, with a non-trivial root having the potential for the limit to equal exp(ik) with k being a real constant. However, if c is a trivial root, the limit cannot be equal to exp(ik) with k being any real constant. The use of the functional equation and the coefficient \chi(1-c) also affects the value of the limit.
eljose
let be the quotient:

[tex] Lim_{x->c}\frac{\zeta(1-x)}{\zeta(x)} [/tex]
where x=c is a root of riemann function... then my question is if that limit is equal to exp(ik) with k any real constant...thanks... the limit is wehn x tends to c bieng c a root of riemann constant

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If c is a trivial root, the answer is clearly no.

If c is a non-trivial root, if you use the functional equation the answer should be clear.

eljose said:
my question is if that limit is equal to exp(ik) with k any real constant

no, that can't be true, k surely cannot be *any* real constant? it can at best be *some* real constant.

let,s suppose c is a trivial root i mean 0<re(c)<1 i have checked with the functional equation the limit [tex]Limx->c\frac{\zeta(1-x)}{zeta(x)} [/tex] my question is if we can express this limit as exp(ik) with k some real constant...

i have checked the functional equation for zeta if we call [tex]\zeta(1-s)=F(s)\zeta(s) [/tex] the only thinkg i have proved is that F^*(a+ib)=F(a-ib) (with * complex conjugate) but i don,t know if it will be true that the coefficient is equal to exp(ik).

eljose said:
let,s suppose c is a trivial root i mean 0<re(c)<1

if 0<Re(c)<1 it is a NON-trivial root.

[tex]\frac{\zeta(1-s)}{\zeta(s)}=\chi(1-s)[/tex], and I'm sure you know what [tex]\chi[/tex] is despite your continued use of "F".

So it depends on [tex]\chi(1-c)[/tex]. If c is on the critical line, this has modulus 1. If c is off the critical line, this may have modulus 1 as well, or it may not.

1. What is the Riemann function?

The Riemann function, named after mathematician Bernhard Riemann, is a complex-valued function defined on the complex plane except for a simple pole at the origin. It is typically denoted as ζ(z) and is given by the infinite series ζ(z) = 1 + 1/2^z + 1/3^z + 1/4^z + ...

2. What is the significance of the Riemann function?

The Riemann function is significant in mathematics as it is closely related to the distribution of prime numbers. It also has connections to many other areas of mathematics, including number theory, complex analysis, and harmonic analysis.

3. What are the roots of the Riemann function?

The Riemann function has infinitely many roots, known as the non-trivial zeros. These are the complex numbers z for which ζ(z) = 0. The only known non-trivial zeros lie in the critical strip 0 < Re(z) < 1 and are all symmetric about the line Re(z) = 1/2.

4. Are there any unsolved problems related to the Riemann function?

Yes, the Riemann Hypothesis, proposed by Riemann himself, states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann function lie on the line Re(z) = 1/2. This remains an unsolved problem in mathematics and is one of the most famous and important conjectures in number theory.

5. How is the Riemann function used in real-world applications?

The Riemann function has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in the study of quantum mechanics, signal processing, and error-correcting codes. It also has connections to the statistical distribution of prime numbers, which has implications in cryptography and data encryption.