Can a 'Good Surface' Be Found for Any Continuous Vector Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "good surface" for a vector field, where the surface is perpendicular to the vector field at every point. This concept is related to conservative vector fields and equipotential surfaces, which can be defined by a scalar potential function. To learn how to use TeX to write mathematical symbols, one can refer to the introduction on the Physics Forum.
HungryChemist
I am terribly sorry for not being able to write this simple equation in Latex form. (I will be really glad if someone can tell me where I can learn how to use Latex to write math symbol)

Let F' be a vector field given by F' = r r' (r' = radial unit vector) and also let p be a point on the space R distance away. Then one can imagine a sphere of radius of R (centered at origin). Now, every patch of this surface has normal vector n' that is in the same direction as F' at that point.

I hope I am being clear, the more specific example of above kind would be an electric field due to a single positive charge and gaussian surface(shperical) such that E dot dA will simply come out as magnitue of E times magnitude of dA. If the gaussian surface wasn't sphere former is not true. So let me call such surface a 'good surface'.

Now my question is...

Shouldn't there be such 'good surface' for any vector field that is continuous everywhere? If so how can one show it? Also how can one devise a methord of finding such surface that encloses point in question? In other words, given vector field and a point in that vector space, find the good ' surface'

Please, help me out carrying this utterly confused process...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
tex tags. [ tex ]mathstuff[ /tex ] without the spaces.

You want to find surfaces on which the vector field is everywhere perpendicular? Look up "conservative vector fields," and "equipotentials". The principle is that vector fields with the property you want uniquely define a scalar potential function, and its equipotential surfaces are everywhere normal to the vector field.

As for using TeX on the Physics Forum, the introduction is located here .

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a vector value, such as magnitude and direction, assigned to every point in a given space. It is commonly used to represent physical quantities, such as velocity, force, and electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is a surface in relation to vector fields?

A surface is a two-dimensional object that can be described by a set of points that have a continuous function. In the context of vector fields, a surface can be thought of as a boundary or a region where the vector field is defined and can be visualized.

3. How are vector fields and surfaces related?

Vector fields can be thought of as a set of arrows pointing in different directions at every point on a surface. These arrows represent the direction and magnitude of the vector at that point on the surface. Hence, vector fields and surfaces are closely related and often used together to analyze physical phenomena.

4. What are some common applications of vector fields and surfaces?

Vector fields and surfaces have numerous applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to study fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. They are also used in computer graphics and simulations to model and visualize complex systems.

5. How are vector fields and surfaces visualized and analyzed?

Vector fields and surfaces can be visualized and analyzed using various techniques, such as contour plots, streamlines, and vector plots. These techniques allow us to visualize the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point on the surface and understand the behavior of the vector field. Additionally, advanced mathematical tools, such as divergence and curl, can be used to analyze the vector field and its properties.