Another Easy Question

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
In summary, if the household experiences an average sunlight intensity of 700 W/m2 for 6 hours each day, and the efficiency of converting solar energy to electricity is 12%, then a typical household would need panels that produce an area of 1.512E7 J/m^2
physicsss
Another "Easy" Question

The household experiences an average sunlight intensity of 700 W/m2 for 6 hours each day. If the efficiency of converting solar energy to electricity is 12%, what area of photovoltaic panels would be necessary to supply the household’s electricity? A typical household uses 5000 kWh/year of electricity.

P = ηIA
P = power
η= efficiency
I = intensity of sunlight (in W/m2)
A = area of solar collector

How do you account for the fact that there's only light intensity 6 hours each day?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which question did you want answered?

How do you account for the fact that there's only light 6 hours each day?

I can think of a number of possibilities. Perhaps it's at a latitude and time of year where that's all the sunlight it receives.

I think they mean mathematically...? You'll need to convert seconds to years. When you do that instead of multiplying by 24 (hours in a day) use 6.

tell me if the following is correct:
5000kWh/yr x 3.60E6 J/1 kWh=1.8E10 J/yr

700W/m^2 x (1 J/s)/(1 W) x 3600 s/h x 6h=1.512E7 J/m^2...

pluggin in formula:
1.8E10=0.12 x 1.512E7 J/m^2 x A
solve for A

Unit wise in the last line you have J/yr = J/h.

how do I do it then?

Ok, sorry I said that wrong. For the solar panel you solved how much Power you get from it in one day, but you want to compare it to how much power you use in one year. So either convert days to years or years to days.

In the calculation you did 3600 s/h x 6 h. That should be 3600 s/h x 6 h/d. Since we're calling one day 6 hours (as that's all the light you get in a day).

5000kWh/yr x 3.60E6 J/1 kWh=1.8E10 J/yr

700W/m^2 x (1 J/s)/(1 W) x 3600 s/h x 6h/d x 365 d/yr = number

pluggin in formula:
1.8E10=0.12 x number J/m^2 x A
solve for A

Is it correct now? :)

Looks good to me ;)

1. What is "Another Easy Question"?

"Another Easy Question" is a phrase that is often used to describe a question that is straightforward and simple to answer.

2. Why are some questions considered "easy"?

Some questions may be considered "easy" because they have a clear and well-known answer, or because they do not require a lot of background knowledge or complex reasoning to answer.

3. Are there any downsides to asking "easy" questions?

While "easy" questions may be helpful for gaining basic knowledge, they may not lead to deeper understanding or critical thinking. Additionally, asking too many "easy" questions may be seen as lacking effort or curiosity.

4. How can I make sure my question is not considered "too easy"?

To ensure that your question is not seen as "too easy", try to think about what additional information or perspectives you can bring to the question. You can also ask follow-up questions or further explore the topic to deepen your understanding.

5. Can "easy" questions lead to important discoveries?

Yes, sometimes seemingly "easy" questions can lead to significant discoveries or insights. It is important to approach all questions with an open mind and a willingness to explore different possibilities.