Forgot how to integrate yes t*cos(Pi*t)

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is about integrating a position vector and using integration by parts to solve for the answer. The participants discuss using u-substitution and integration by parts, and eventually arrive at the integral \int t\cos(\pi t) dt = \frac{t}{\pi}\sin(\pi t) - \frac{1}{\pi} \int \sin( \pi t ) dt as the solution.
mr_coffee
forgot how to integrate! yes! t*cos(Pi*t)

Hello everyone I'm integrating a position vector and I'm stuck on integrating the j unit. t*cos(Pi*t);
the answer i got with maple is:
1/Pi^2*(cos(Pi*t)+Pi*t*sin(Pi*t))
but i have no idea how maple busted that out.
if i let u = cos(Pi*t);
du = sin(Pi*t)*Pi dt;
1/Pi du = sin(Pi*t);
but i don't see how this is helping me any...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use integration by parts: f = t and dg = cos(pi*t)dt

Then [itex]\int {fdg = fg - } \int {gdf} [/itex]

Thanks for the responce but I'm still messing it up!
I let f = t; dg = cos(Pi*t) dt;
df = 1;
i integrated dg, to get g, and got:
g = [t*sin(Pi*t)]/Pi;

then u said:
fg - integral(g*df);
(1)([t*sin(Pi*t)]/Pi) - integral (t*sin(Pi*t)]/Pi)(1); but now I'm stuck integrating this function by parts too?

Your integral for dg has found a factor of t for some reason, your integral should be:

[tex]
\int \cos (\pi t ) dt = \frac{1}{\pi} \sin(\pi t)
[/tex]

i had that, but the def says: [itex]\int {fdg = fg - } \int {gdf} [/itex] so doesn't this mean i have to take f which is t, and multiply it by g? which is [tex]
\int \cos (\pi t ) dt = \frac{1}{\pi} \sin(\pi t)
[/tex] that's where i got that t from

Remember the integral on the RHS is asking for the derivative of f, so we have

[tex]
\int t\cos(\pi t) dt = \frac{t}{\pi}\sin(\pi t) - \frac{1}{\pi} \int \sin( \pi t ) dt
[/tex]

Last edited:
ohhh thanks again sqrt!

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves calculating the area under a curve. It is the reverse of differentiation and is used to find the original function when given its derivative.

How do I integrate a function?

To integrate a function, you need to follow a set of rules and techniques. These include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. You also need to have a good understanding of basic calculus concepts such as derivatives and antiderivatives.

What is the process for integrating t*cos(Pi*t)?

The process for integrating t*cos(Pi*t) involves first recognizing that it is a product of two functions, t and cos(Pi*t). Then, you can use the integration by parts method, where one function is differentiated and the other is integrated. This will result in a new integral that can be solved using substitution or other techniques.

What is the importance of integrating t*cos(Pi*t)?

Integrating t*cos(Pi*t) can be useful in various fields of science and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the displacement of an object over time when given its velocity function. It can also be used to find the total work done by a varying force over a certain period of time.

What are some common mistakes when integrating t*cos(Pi*t)?

Some common mistakes when integrating t*cos(Pi*t) include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the wrong substitution, or forgetting to add the constant of integration. It is important to double check your work and make sure you understand the steps involved in the integration process.