Help, been stuck for two months

• Thread starter Greener
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the first problem involved calculating the average force between a player's foot and a soccer ball during a 2.0 x 10^-2 second interaction, given the mass and velocities of the ball. The answer was found to be 250 N. The second problem required calculating the reading on a scale when a person weighing 490 N is in an elevator that is decelerating at -2.2 m/s. The answer was found to be 385 N.
Greener
Hey, since I am doing distance learing, my assignments don't have a date they have to be in, however I have been stuck on two questions for aBOUT 2 months now.

1) A 0.25 kg soccer ball is rolling at 6.0m/s toward a player. The player kicks the ball back in the oppoiste direction and gives it a velocity of -14 m/s. What is the average force between the players force during the interaction between the players foot and the ball if the interaction lasts 2.0 X 10^-2 seconds.

2)A person weighing 490 N stands on a scale in an elevator.
- The elevator slows down at -2.2 m/s as it reaches the desired floor, what does the scale read?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've been stuck for two months? Exactly what have you been doing for those two months? Just staring at the problem?

Show us what you have tried, what you understand about the problem, and where you have trouble.

well I have been flipping through my books looking to find what its talking about.
for the first one this is all I can come up with

------> 6 m/s
<-------------- 14 m/s

therefore

<-------- 8 m/s

the second one, I have no idea.

For the first problem, read up on impulse and change in momentum.

The second problem is not properly worded. If that -2.2 is meant to be an acceleration, not a speed, then it's time to review Newton's 2nd law. Ask yourself, what are all the forces acting on the person?

1) determine the accelaration the ball has undergone and use the formula F = ma

2) What is the the sum of the forces acting vertically through the person?

for the first one I get 909.09 is that even close to being right??

Re-did the question after seeing a mistake I made and came up with the answer of -9.09. I don't believe that this is the right answer, what am I doing wrong.

I am using the formula:

F= ma = m * change in velocity / time.

Is this right?

Try doing things one step at a time:

For question 1:

What is the change in velocity?

How long does it take?

What is the average acceleration during that time?

What is the mass of the ball?

What is the average force?

Originally posted by Greener
F= ma = m * change in velocity / time.

Is this right?
That's right. But your answer isn't.

Your 1st error:
The change in velocity is not -8 m/s. Remember:
change in velocity = final velocity - initial velocity
= -14 m/s - 6 m/s

Your 2nd error:
2.0 X 10^-2 is not .22, as you assume. It's .02

Last edited:
1) A 0.25 kg soccer ball is rolling at 6.0m/s toward a player. The player kicks the ball back in the oppoiste direction and gives it a velocity of -14 m/s. What is the average force between the players force during the interaction between the players foot and the ball if the interaction lasts 2.0 X 10^-2 seconds.

Rather than tease you with the answer like one might a dog with a packet of dog biscuits, I think I'll just give you the answer.

You already know that force is equal to mass multiplied by an acceleration, which is a change in velocity over time.

F = ma = m(&Delta;v/&Delta;t)

Writing this differently,

F = (m&Delta;v)/&Delta;t

You may notice that the numerator can also be written &Delta;mv, a change in momentum. This is another definition of a force: a change of momentum over time. This will give you your answer.

A change in momentum is

&Delta;p = mv2 - mv1

Calling the final and initial velocities v2 and v1 respectively.

Since m is common to both terms,

&Delta;p = m(v2 - v1)

Now, the change in velocity is the final velocity minus the initial velocity. Calling the direction in which the ball is kicked by the player the positive direction, the change in velocity is

v2 - v1 = 14 - (-6) = 14 + 6 = 20 ms-1

You need to pay attention to the signs. Plugging this answer into the equation worked out above:

F = m&Delta;v/&Delta;t = m(20)/(1/50) = (50 * 20)m = 1000m

A precise numerical answer is 1000 * 0.25 = 250 N.

2)A person weighing 490 N stands on a scale in an elevator.
- The elevator slows down at -2.2 m/s as it reaches the desired floor, what does the scale read?

Now F = ma, so another way of thinking about acceleration is the force acting per unit mass, a = F/m. Now your weight is equal to

W = mg

Where g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface, this is roughly 9.8ms-2.

Now, the force acting on the scales when the lift is moving at constant velocity is equal to the person's weight. Gravity is pulling the man down with a force of 9.8 Newtons per kilogram. But there's another force acting on the man when the lift is decelerating.

Let's assume that the lift is traveling upward and the upward is the positive direction. The lift will slow down as it reaches the floor and as a result, the reading on the scale will decrease.

Call the force on the scale F, then

F = W + ma

Where W is the man's weight, m his mass and a the acceleration of the lift.

F = W + m(-2.2) = W - 2.2m

m is W/g, so

F = W - 2.2(W/g) = g(W/g) - 2.2(W/g) = (W/g)(9.8 - 2.2) = (W/g)(7.7)

This is equal to (420 * 7.7)/9.8 = 385 N

ok,thanks you so very much every one

1. How long have you been stuck for?

I have been stuck for two months.

2. What have you been stuck on?

I have been stuck on a research problem or experiment that I am trying to solve.

3. Have you tried seeking help from others?

Yes, I have consulted with my colleagues and supervisor, but we have not been able to find a solution yet.

4. What steps have you taken to try and overcome your stuckness?

I have tried different approaches and methods, consulted with experts in the field, and conducted further research, but I am still unable to make progress.

5. How has being stuck for so long affected your work?

Being stuck for two months has significantly impacted my progress and productivity, as I am unable to move forward with my research or experiment.