Coefficient of Static Friction

Also, the graph should not be a straight line through the origin because the coefficient of static friction is not constant and changes with the applied force. However, the graph should still show a positive correlation. In summary, the experiment involved dragging a block on a flat surface and measuring the static friction with added weight. The question is whether the graph of mass/force on the x-axis and applied force on the y-axis should be a straight line through the origin, which is not the case because the coefficient of static friction is not constant.
SwAnK
Hey quick question, I did this experiment where I dragged a block across a flat surface with a scale and found the static friction, ehn weight was added to the block and repeated the process. MY question is when graphed with the mass or Fn on the x-axis, and applied force or Fs on the x axis, should it not give a straight line through 0,0 which would be the coeffecient of the static friction?? I am just wondering to know if I am just doing the graph wrong or got messed up results during the experiment.
thanx again

Physics news on Phys.org
If a block is being dragged, static friction is not involved. This involves kinetic friction.

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of force needed to overcome the friction between two surfaces in order to keep them from moving relative to each other.

How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum amount of force needed to overcome friction between two surfaces by the normal force, or the force perpendicular to the surface.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the roughness and type of surfaces in contact, as well as their materials and any external factors such as temperature or humidity.

Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps determine the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to slide or slip. This is crucial in designing structures and machinery to ensure safety and efficiency.

How does the coefficient of static friction differ from the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of static friction refers to the friction between two surfaces when they are at rest, while the coefficient of kinetic friction refers to the friction between two surfaces when they are in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.