What is the magnitude of the torque acting on the loop? T = IAB

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic dipole moment and torque of a circular wire loop with a radius of 20.0 cm and a current of 3.10 A, placed at an angle of 34.0° with a uniform magnetic field of 15.0 T. The formula for torque is given as \tau = IAB \sin \theta and the correct formula for this problem is \tau = IAB \sin 34°. By using the vector form \vec{\tau} = \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}, the correct torque of 5.84 Nm is found.
mr_coffee
A circular wire loop of radius 20.0 cm carries a current of 3.10 A. It is placed so that the normal to its plane makes an angle of 34.0° with a uniform magnetic field of 15.0 T.

I don't understand why this isn't right, i got the first part right, it wanted me to find the magnetic dipole moment of the loop, which i found to be .3896 Am^2; I got this by using M = IA;
now it wants me to find the magnitude of the torque acting on the loop. So I used the formula:
Torque = IAB;
I = current
A = area of loop
B = Magnetic field;
Torque = (3.10)(PI*.20^2)(15) = 5.84 Nm, which is wrong, any ideas why? :bugeye:
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque is only IAB if the field lines are perpendicular to the plane of the loop, whioch isn't the case here.

The complete formula is:

[tex]\tau = IAB \sin \theta[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the normal to the loop and the magnetic field. In your problem, the relevant angle is 34 degrees.

In vector terms, the torque is:

[tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex] is the magnetic moment.

ohh thanks a lot james, worked great!

1. What does the equation T = IAB mean?

The equation T = IAB represents the magnitude of the torque (T) acting on a loop, where I is the current, A is the area of the loop, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of the torque acting on a loop?

The magnitude of the torque acting on a loop can be calculated by multiplying the current (I), the area of the loop (A), and the magnetic field strength (B). This is represented by the equation T = IAB.

3. What units is the torque magnitude measured in?

The units for torque magnitude are typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In cgs units, it is measured in dyne-centimeters (dyn-cm).

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the torque acting on a loop?

The magnitude of the torque acting on a loop can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the loop, and the orientation of the loop with respect to the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnitude of the torque ever be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the torque can be negative if the direction of the torque is opposite to the direction of rotation. This occurs when the magnetic field and current are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the torque magnitude.